PDA

View Full Version : Model Groups and Phasing?

twiceroadsfool
2006-07-17, 01:32 PM
I have a model group of a particular tower that is being repeated throughout a building complex. Its much nicer to have it in a model group for the obvious editing easiness when things slightly change on it, but heres my issue:

One of the towers is built in Phase 1, and one is built in phase 2. So naturally, i just copied it to the new location. I realize i can work in the two different plans (phase 1 and phase 2) to make sure they get inserted in the proper phase, but am i missing something obvious, in terms of being able to change the phase in the MG properties??

aggockel50321
2006-07-17, 02:17 PM
Groups aren't phase aware, the objects within the group are.

So if you insert a group in a view set to a later phase, all the objects within that group will assume the view's phase.

hth

twiceroadsfool
2006-07-17, 02:31 PM
Groups aren't phase aware, the objects within the group are.

So if you insert a group in a view set to a later phase, all the objects within that group will assume the view's phase.

hth

So if i select all the objects in a group, and go in to the properties and change the phase, its not going to give me the "Changes to a Group must be made in the group edit mode..." dialogue? Sweet, ill give that a try and see how it works...

aggockel50321
2006-07-17, 03:00 PM
So if i select all the objects in a group, and go in to the properties and change the phase, its not going to give me the "Changes to a Group must be made in the group edit mode..." dialogue?You'll have to be in the group edit mode to select all the objects within the group.

twiceroadsfool
2006-07-17, 03:52 PM
You'll have to be in the group edit mode to select all the objects within the group.

Right, but heres my problem with that... I want different instances of the group to be on different phases.

If i change their phase in Group Edit mode, wont it change every instance?

aggockel50321
2006-07-17, 05:04 PM
No, the phase will only change on the objects alttered while in group edit.

Try placing two groups side by side. Edit one group and change the phase created (or demolished) for the object(s) in the group. Finish editing the group. Go to the second group & edit it. You'll see the phasing of these objects did not change.