PDA

View Full Version : Merging Models

angelo
2006-07-17, 10:58 PM
Hello,

We've got ourselves into a pickle...

Instead of using Design Options, our model was duplicated early on in schematic design and developed in parallel for two significantly different schemes.

Now we have finally got a clear direction from the client, and the files need to be merged. One file has a more robust sheet set, while the other has the model we want to use.

I've tried gutting the model file with the sheet set and pasting the more complete model into this file. Each test has resulted in errors that won't let me proceed.

Any suggestions on how this might be done? If at all possible, it would be great to avoid regenerating the sheets and views... (I know you can import views, but sheets don't work this way)

Thanks for any guidance.

Angelo

Firmso
2006-07-18, 12:32 AM
Hello,

We've got ourselves into a pickle...

Instead of using Design Options, our model was duplicated early on in schematic design and developed in parallel for two significantly different schemes.

Now we have finally got a clear direction from the client, and the files need to be merged. One file has a more robust sheet set, while the other has the model we want to use.

I've tried gutting the model file with the sheet set and pasting the more complete model into this file. Each test has resulted in errors that won't let me proceed.

Any suggestions on how this might be done? If at all possible, it would be great to avoid regenerating the sheets and views... (I know you can import views, but sheets don't work this way)

Thanks for any guidance.

Angelo

I had the same problem on my first project and I ended redoing things the Copy/Paste couldn't fix. I hope someone has a better solution for this though.

Steve_Stafford
2006-07-18, 12:49 AM
If you remove the views from the sheets in the "good sheet" project you should be able to copy them into the other project using Import Views. I posted an article about this on my blog (http://revitoped.blogspot.com/2006/06/drawing-list-part-two.html).

You'll still need to reassemble the views on the sheets though.

Firmso
2006-07-18, 12:55 AM
If you remove the views from the sheets in the "good sheet" project you should be able to copy them into the other project using Import Views. I posted an article about this on my blog (http://revitoped.blogspot.com/2006/06/drawing-list-part-two.html).

You'll still need to reassemble the views on the sheets though.

So, basically there is no single easy way out of this?
We just had to use the " Beat-to-Fit " method....so to speak.

Steve_Stafford
2006-07-18, 01:02 AM
I've had some success grouping a building (3D view), saving the group to file and then loading it into the other project. But I had to be patient and it wasn't a big project either. But then I had to redo annotation.... so no, no easy peasy simple solution.

ejburrell67787
2006-07-18, 12:27 PM
I think if I was in that situation I would attempt the merge by starting a new clean project then cutting everything from the project with the good model and pasting it in, then creating all the necessary sheets in the new project and cutting / pasting all the sheet based info from the other project with the good sheets.

good luck! :beer:

angelo
2006-07-18, 02:58 PM
I guess we have really gone far enough with both files to make it very painful to recoup the work...ouch!

What type of objects/relationships create the most problems when pasting between files? What types of "hidden stuff" that only revealed itself later on did you discover?

Revit is so interconnected, that it seems to severely limit moving objects/groups between files. Powerful, but definitely a one-way street.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll give them a try.

Angelo

fmihelcic
2006-08-04, 05:29 AM
We had a similar issue of having to merge models. One thing we found out if your project is divided into worksets, you want to copy/paste one workset at a time into the other model. Worksets copyed for one model will default to the current workset of the paste to model. Have the workset you are copy/pasting as the current workset for the model you are pasting to. It was a long and not fun time to do the merge of the two models.