PDA

View Full Version : if RB, then RUBBER BASE

3dsketcher
2006-07-18, 01:12 PM
i'm doing a finish plan with room tags with abbreviations like CP for carpet, RB for rubber base, etc.

is there a way to somehow transfer this info in my schedule so that i do not have to retype the full description. so far im getting all the abbreviations. i want to keep the link so that there would be no chance that i have PT (paint) on my wall finish plan tag but WALL TILE in my schedule because i forgot to update it.

i tried using a calculated parameter but it does not seem to work. it does not let me finish and keeps telling me there is something wrong with my formula.
IF Base Finish=RB, RUBBER BASE

is what i'm trying to do even possible?

rkitect
2006-07-18, 01:26 PM
Silly question; Are you using quotes to tell Revit the variables you're passing are strings?

archjake
2006-07-18, 02:43 PM
There isn't an easy way to get parameter info into a room tag. You can do it with shared parameters, but there is room for error as you have to manually edit the parameter that the tag reads. Its almost as painful as it would be to just re-type the list.

I'm not sure if anyone has tried to do this with a key schedule. It may be possible.

rkitect
2006-07-18, 05:08 PM
I have a key schedule for my walls that allows me to select a 'Wall Style' and the Wall schedule fills in a pre typed wall assembly (See attachment). However, the walls still tag by whatever the mark/type mark is. I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for or not. It's only a pain to set it up but once it is, it works nicely. To get the walls to schedule I just select all walls that are of one type (using Select all instances) and then changing my 'Wall Style' parameter to match whatever wall style it is.

I would imagine, if you could do this, it would look like this (in Pseudo):

if(mark=='RB', description=='6/" Rubber Base')

The problem with this is that you then have to make an 'if' statement for every finish... and where do you put it?

I have an idea that I'm going to try real quick and I'll post in just a minute.

rkitect
2006-07-18, 05:17 PM
Another silly question. The objects that you are tagging.. what family category are they? The first stump I ran into in my experiment was that you can not do Keys for Multi Category schedules.

Edit: Nevermind Just saw your note about using Room Tags

3dsketcher
2006-07-22, 10:56 AM
I have a key schedule for my walls that allows me to select a 'Wall Style' and the Wall schedule fills in a pre typed wall assembly (See attachment). However, the walls still tag by whatever the mark/type mark is. I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for or not. It's only a pain to set it up but once it is, it works nicely. To get the walls to schedule I just select all walls that are of one type (using Select all instances) and then changing my 'Wall Style' parameter to match whatever wall style it is.

I would imagine, if you could do this, it would look like this (in Pseudo):

if(mark=='RB', description=='6/" Rubber Base')

The problem with this is that you then have to make an 'if' statement for every finish... and where do you put it?

I have an idea that I'm going to try real quick and I'll post in just a minute.

thanks. this helps me on a lot of issues im having. i will test the if statement as well. i guess i was not using the right syntax/logic. i do not have many options per base/wall/floor material anyway so i hope i can do multiple if's.

regarding your first attachment, i didn't check out the 'comments' option. this is still somehow linked to the object/number right? and not just an independent table?

rkitect
2006-07-22, 09:28 PM
I know you're not going to like this reply, but I think I created a parameter in the Key Schedule called comments and the Wall schedule somehow uses that same comments parameter name so it automatically transfers the value from one table to another. I poked around after I posted the other day to see what I had done and it appears to have just picked it up automagically.

I'll keep you updated on what I find as I continue to poke around.

pS: I just noticed that the 'coments' column in the Key Schedule. is called 'Description.' This is just the column name and not the parameter. The parameter displayed in the Discription column is actually the Comment parameter.