PDA

View Full Version : replace rect column with ww flange

3dsketcher
2006-07-18, 11:50 PM
how can i replace a generic rectangular column with a wide flange column globally? i used it temporarily but now want to replace it but the drop down list only shows rectangular column options even if i have the wide flange structural columns loaded already.

am i missing step?

DanielleAnderson
2006-07-19, 12:07 AM
A generic rectangular column is considered an architectural column, while a wide flange is considered a structural column, they live in 2 separate categories. So, it's like trying to trade out a window for a door - Revit is thinking - why do you want to do that?

Firmso
2006-07-19, 12:10 AM
how can i replace a generic rectangular column with a wide flange column globally? i used it temporarily but now want to replace it but the drop down list only shows rectangular column options even if i have the wide flange structural columns loaded already.

am i missing step?

One way to simultaneously replace multi columns is by manually selecting the columns you want to replace then go to to options pull down and select your prefered column.

3dsketcher
2006-07-19, 12:19 AM
thanks. when i first did the model, i used everything generic. column, wall, etc hoping the i could easily replace them as i develop the model.

i found a workaround though, i temporarily modified the rect column as a structural column category and the options came out. this is similar to firmso's solution when i found out that some of my skylights are generic models and were not windows that i can schedule.

ejburrell67787
2006-07-19, 08:15 AM
One way to simultaneously replace multi columns is by manually selecting the columns you want to replace then go to to options pull down and select your prefered column.Well I seriously hope you don't do that when you need to replace all of them!! There is always the Select All Instances option for that! :razz:

patricks
2006-07-19, 01:16 PM
Just for future reference, use a structural column even when you don't know the size yet. I always tend to use a W8x31 section for columns early on, which is a square section (8" wide, 8" deep), and then change them later as I get more info from my structural engineer.

3dsketcher
2006-07-22, 10:42 AM
Just for future reference, use a structural column even when you don't know the size yet. I always tend to use a W8x31 section for columns early on, which is a square section (8" wide, 8" deep), and then change them later as I get more info from my structural engineer.

thanks. do you know if there are other sites i could go to for revit steel trusses. i only saw 2 in the library and revit city had mostly wood trusses.