PDA

View Full Version : keynote 1 2 3

3dsketcher
2006-07-19, 03:57 PM
is there a way to do general keynotes (number and symbol/leader) in a drawing and be able to create a legend on the sheet. these notes have nothing to do with materials but more instruction than anything else

sample
1. existing window to be repaired
2. new stone to match existing stone
3. etc

i've tried this tutorial but it does not seem to work
http://www.ideateinc.com/usergroups/documents/Keynoting%2002-06.pdf

jcoe
2006-07-19, 05:19 PM
From what I understand about keynotes, they can only be assigned to elements or materials. They do not have the capability of being generic for the sake of general construction notes.

What I have done - and this seems to work well for us - is create a legend view. This will allow you to place your note symbol and text as you have described. Further, you have the ability to place the view on multiple sheets, but you will not be able to sort your notes by sheet the way keynote legends do.

See attachment.

This takes a little bit more coordination, but it works.

david_spehar
2006-07-19, 05:27 PM
Same thing here. We use legends for all of our general notes and then pull the legend to multiple sheets. Keynotes need to reference an element (even if you're using the user define option).

mcuevas
2006-07-20, 02:21 PM
Like David said, I think what you are looking for is the User option under the keynote command. This will allow you to keynote something in your model without using the objects element or material keynote value. You can select any one of your keynotes.

3dsketcher
2006-07-22, 10:47 AM
thanks guys.

do i understand it correctly that these legends are not in any way linked to the model but general text and linework (for symbols)? does this in any way harvest/schedule the particular keys/numbers i'm using?

jcoe
2006-07-22, 07:50 PM
This is exactly it. The legends have no direct link back to the model other than the ability to place general text, dimensions, and model objects. The reason legends are used for general notes is because they have the ability to be place on multiple sheets as opposed to using a detail view.

There is one thing that I did overlook earlier, and the help file may be of some use here, is the use of a noteblock. The noteblock functions as a schedule and can be tied to generic annotation tags. As a schedule, you still have the ability to place it on multiple sheets. The reason we do not use them is the simple fact that you cannot place a symbol in the noteblock (Developers - this would be a great plus). If you are not concerned with seeing the symbol in the noteblock, then this is a good alternative.