PDA

View Full Version : journal file

Cheuk Ling
2006-07-21, 03:39 PM
Under setting---> option -> general menu .
There are two items : journal file exceeds ... and delete journal file older than....
The help document doesn't have enough explanation to it, so
do you know what they are ? And I cannot set the number to less than 2 ?!
Any help is appreciated.

best regards

mccurdyks
2006-07-21, 03:46 PM
They are what you need when you (or your local file) blow up and you ask Autodesk why. They are just a log of activity, crashes ,etc.

You can find the journals under program files C:\Program Files\Autodesk Revit Building 8.1\Journals

Cheuk Ling
2006-07-23, 09:05 AM
understand , many thanks.

luigi
2006-07-23, 10:18 PM
Eventhough it isn't supported (meaning the factory doesn't take responsibility) it is a great "chance" to retrieve work you may lose in case of a seldom crash you might experience....

It saved a lot of work I had lost twice (in the past year) when I crashed....the only drawback is that you need to master restoring your files as when you first started revit before the crash...

(i.e. if you start revit on Monday at 8:00 am, and you save a few times, like at 8:30, then at 10:00am and then at 11:30 you crash....what you need to do is save your latest revit file (the rvt file) and find the revit backup file of before Monday at 8:00am and rename it to have the original name (remove all the numbers, etc.) Then you need to find the proper journal file, make sure Revit is closed, and drag the journal file on top of the Revit "shortcut" on your desktop, and sit back and watch the journal redo everything you did from 8:00am Monday morning until you crashed on 11:30am)

If it stops, then the journal encountered something that didn't match properly (most likely if you opened a family and saved it, it might not like it) Remember that it is sensitive to the location on the harddrive/network...

That is why it is crucial to have enought backups and enough journals....

You didn't ask for this, but just in case you find it helpful, I thought of letting you know...

Take care,

Peace,

Cheuk Ling
2006-07-24, 03:11 PM
thanks Luigi,

I just thought that they are only useful by Adesk technicians when my file got
unrecoverable errors . Now I know that even user can try to retrieve files
when necessary from these journal files.
Better keep the default number in option unchanged for safety.

mccurdyks
2007-07-11, 01:55 PM
[QUOTE=luigi]
(i.e. if you start revit on Monday at 8:00 am, and you save a few times, like at 8:30, then at 10:00am and then at 11:30 you crash....what you need to do is save your latest revit file (the rvt file) and find the revit backup file of before Monday at 8:00am and rename it to have the original name (remove all the numbers, etc.) Then you need to find the proper journal file, make sure Revit is closed, and drag the journal file on top of the Revit "shortcut" on your desktop, and sit back and watch the journal redo everything you did from 8:00am Monday morning until you crashed on 11:30am)

Could you elaborate.

Can I run a journal file created on another machine on my machine? I see there's info. in the journal about system setup.

Does the location of the journal and backup file matter? Do I have to put the journal files from someone else's machine in my Program Files\Revit\journals, or can I run this all from a network drive?

Have you used journals as a trouble shooting/teaching tool for training?

Thanks in advance

Kevin