PDA

View Full Version : Calling UK Revit users

Damo
2004-06-07, 09:51 PM
:idea: I suppose this post may depend on how long you have been using Revit. Our first instalment of Revit was 6.0 and I got quickly stuck in.

2 weeks later 6.1 arrived and I was very pleasantly surprised to see a lot more metric / UK content.

I’d be keen to encourage AutoDesk to continue the expansion of UK based content, as I see this being a key element to get more UK users, and ultimately consolidate the UK Revit base.

I should state at this time I have no shares in AutoDesk, my motives are purely self motivated. I want to see our investment in Revit continue through further releases of the software, without fear of it being scrapped / downgraded in favour of ADT, or surpassed by the competitors.

With this in mind, I’d like to suggest fellow UK Revit users petition AutoDesk for more UK content by having components taken directly from manufacturers catalogues (after all, it must be a win-win situation for all concerned. Those manufacturers who participate will have their products specified in the schedules and drawings ahead of their competitors).

To get the ball rolling, a few suggestions of my own:
Major door, window and staircase manufacturer like Jeld-Wen
Sanitaryware manufacturer like Armitage Shanks / Tywfords
Rooflight manufacturer like Velux
Brick manufacturer like Ibstock (their range accurately represented in Accurender)
Etc
Etc.

Do other UK users think this is a good idea, and if so, could they recommend / suggest other manufacturers to add to the above list, before we all submit to AutoDesk?

I’d be interested to hear your response.

Damian

Scott D Davis
2004-06-07, 11:27 PM
and we here in the U.S. use Velux and Jeld-Wen, too, so the more content you can get from them, the better!

PeterJ
2004-06-07, 11:46 PM
Phil Palmer, myself and some others sat down and went through in detail a list of requests for UK specific content, I don't think we got as far as material libraries though. Autodesk are aware of the list as we worked to a template that they offered as a starting point. The windows in 6.1 are more UK cenctric, even being close to the Jeld Wen/Rugby Joinery stocks in appearance.

rhys
2004-06-08, 07:41 AM
My pet subject again. Content is key, in my view, to increasing the user base.
Autodesk have increased content with each new major release, but have not really commited as much resource as I would like to this. It seems its mainly down to users, dealers (fat chance), and manufacturers (who'd bother until there's a bigger user base). Since it up to us I look forward to the new Augi Exchange, which should help.

beegee
2004-06-08, 08:06 AM
Actually our local Oz dealer has done a superb job of producing additional local content and has a number of manufacturers on board assisting production as well, so don't discount that possibility.

They even produced an excellent tipsntrick web page which has been referenced elsewhere in these forums.

My pet subject again. Content is key, in my view, to increasing the user base.
Autodesk have increased content with each new major release, but have not really commited as much resource as I would like to this. It seems its mainly down to users, dealers (fat chance), and manufacturers (who'd bother until there's a bigger user base). Since it up to us I look forward to the new Augi Exchange, which should help.

blads
2004-06-08, 08:16 AM
Actually our local Oz dealer has done a superb job of producing additional local content and has a number of manufacturers on board assisting production as well, so don't discount that possibility.

I'd have to concur with beegee on that point - they've done a trully remarkable effort. And not only with content - they have shown stunning visuals of what other Oz reviteers are producing... hmm I wonder how those clouds are produced

rhys
2004-06-08, 10:50 AM
Good to hear that, any of those products exported to the UK, I wonder, I'm all for specifying products that are modelled in Revit already!!

blads
2004-06-08, 01:50 PM
The content is more generic based on Australian-ized sizings in doors and windows, plumbing bits and pieces, casework, etc although they have specific content in BHP steel sections / sizes and special equipment in the form of bracing panels and tags used in residential construction. All in all very useful content...

Damo
2004-06-10, 11:26 AM
Phil Palmer, myself and some others sat down and went through in detail a list of requests for UK specific content, I don't think we got as far as material libraries though. Autodesk are aware of the list as we worked to a template that they offered as a starting point. The windows in 6.1 are more UK cenctric, even being close to the Jeld Wen/Rugby Joinery stocks in appearance.

Peter,

I see an advantage in manufacturers specific products being created as families, rather then generic. I can then select the products from the manufacturers catalogue and then just do a search for their product number in the Revit family, rather then trying to match up a specific requirement with a generic representation.

Could you give me more information on what specific content you requested Revit to include, and when? (this was probably before I joined AUGI / Zoog). If appropriate, I’d like to add my voice to your request. Alternatively, if you’d prefer to keep this separate, I can move this thread onto the wish-list section.

Damian

PeterJ
2004-06-10, 01:59 PM
I see an advantage in manufacturers specific products being created as families, rather then generic. I can then select the products from the manufacturers catalogue and then just do a search for their product number in the Revit family, rather then trying to match up a specific requirement with a generic representation.
I agree with you broadly.

Could you give me more information on what specific content you requested Revit to include, and when? (this was probably before I joined AUGI / Zoog). If appropriate, I’d like to add my voice to your request. Alternatively, if you’d prefer to keep this separate, I can move this thread onto the wish-list section.
I thnk the meeting was back in November. We were given a list which was essentially a Uniformat or CiSFB listing major classl isting and we went through that nominating manufacturers or requesting that generics be modelled and assigning priorities to each item. I haven't spoken with Phil about any feedback he has received but you might want to pursue either Pelle Chiari or Sarah Capes at Autodesk directly.

Damo
2004-06-10, 07:25 PM
....but you might want to pursue either Pelle Chiari or Sarah Capes at Autodesk directly.

If you could pass on contact details (to my personal e-mail address if you like) then I'll follow this up.

Thanks

Damian

Paul P.
2004-06-10, 08:12 PM
Damian, if you do follow this up and find anything out will you please let us know. By the way how did the course go, I'm trying to convince my boss to send me on another one.

Regard's, Paul.

Damo
2004-06-11, 12:00 AM
Damian, if you do follow this up and find anything out will you please let us know.
If I get the contact details of Pelle Chiari or Sarah Capes at Autodesk I'll follow up, and of course feedback here.

By the way how did the course go, I'm trying to convince my boss to send me on another one.

Regard's, Paul.
I had a really great tutor. He worked with Revit for 3 years before AutoDesk bought them over (as a developer I think he said) and has trained all the UK resellers to date, so he really knows his stuff. ( I hope he doesn’t mind me saying this).

We went through a lot of stuff over the few days. It really helped me that I had about 6 weeks experience on Revit, so that I was able to keep up with him and ask questions based on my experience, probe further menu options etc..

I now need to spend about 3 – 4 months consolidating my training, and exploring the other features he touched on, before taking a follow up ‘Advanced’ course.

3 days training with a knowledgeable tutor is worth weeks sitting with a manual and the computer.

Damian

PeterJ
2004-06-11, 10:11 AM
Sent an email address via pm....

Damo
2004-06-18, 01:41 PM
Phil Palmer, myself and some others sat down and went through in detail a list of requests for UK specific content, I don't think we got as far as material libraries though.
Peter, regarding my suggestion for specific manufacturer's content in Revit, I've followed up on the contact you gave me and have posted Sarah's reply to you via PM, to keep you informed.

The windows in 6.1 are more UK cenctric, even being close to the Jeld Wen/Rugby Joinery stocks in appearance.
My observation is that part of the functionality of Revit is the ability to incorporate 'REAL' objects, whose intelligence can be followed throughout the building model. For example, if I choose, say, a generic window I have to spend time making sure it's height and width correspond with the real window that the contractor is going to install, otherwise brick opening sizes could be wrong, with horrendous consequences and problems on site.

However, it I could choose a real window from a manufacturers catalogue, and then go to the Revit library and insert that window, then I have complete co-ordination with brick opening sizes, I don't have to spend time checking if there are differences between the generic and the specified window, and of course, my window schedule is automatically correct.

I have suggested to AutoDesk that this is a win-win-win situation, where manufacturers have their products easily available to the Revit user (more sales), AutoDesk can claim more real-world functionality and offices can spend more time being productive rather then checking the Revit model.

I am asking AutoDesk to facilitate this initiative to represent those UK users that would like more specific manufacturers content. If they agree to this, I am hoping that UK users will be able add their name to a central petition that AutoDesk can then forward to manufacturers.

We'll see what happens.

rhys
2004-06-18, 01:57 PM
Only problem is finding a standard window thats a brick module and allows for correct mastic detailing (890mm frame in a 910mm bw opening for example) check out the Jeld wen catalogue!

Damo
2004-06-18, 02:21 PM
Only problem is finding a standard window thats a brick module and allows for correct mastic detailing (890mm frame in a 910mm bw opening for example) check out the Jeld wen catalogue!
With years of site queries and headache I understand and take your point fully Rhys, but if Revit can have the actual specific product in the model, then this is what will be built on site, (whether it's Eternit, Jeld-wen, Kawneer, Crtiiall, Velux, Stannah Lifts, Armitage Shanks, etc etc).

rhys
2004-06-18, 02:43 PM
I agree - now just a thought on content. I think it was aaronrumple who posted here a few weeks back his method for incorporating 2d sanitaryware elevations and plans into a family.
http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=3184
Seems to me since since most of the the UK sanitaryware manufacturers have dwgs of their products, a wizard or perhaps a journal file automating aaron's method could translate a whole batch of data into Revit families. There's an idea perhaps for Revit UK team.

PeterJ
2004-06-20, 10:57 AM
Yep, this is something I have never grasped. Why are windows the size they are?