PDA

View Full Version : Revolved Solid Model Problem

mark.okikawa
2004-06-07, 11:23 PM
Hi,

I'm hoping someone can shed some light on a "small" problem I'm experiencing
with a revolved solid. The image of what I'm trying to create is attached.

Basically, I need to create a small revolved object. The revolved section is C-shaped.
When I finish the model, the revolved edges are segmented, similar to a low
viewres setting in AutoCAD. The inside diameter of the opening is ~1/2".

I'm guessing this can't be resolved via a setting, but I just wanted to see if anyone
had any thoughts.

Thanks,
mark

Scott D Davis
2004-06-07, 11:38 PM
hmmmm.... I did a test, and got a similar situation. I guess the geometry is too small to display??? I thought there was a way to control segmentation display, but that is for a Sweep, not a Revolved solid.

aaronrumple
2004-06-08, 01:21 PM
I've noticed this with very small parts in 3D as well. However the 2D projected views are not affected and remain true circles. What was the family type? Iseem to get this in structural families more than a generic family.

slb
2004-06-08, 03:36 PM
Revit is optimized for building scale objects, not nuts and bolts. For performance reasons, Revit will show very small objects "correctly" from a distance, while closer scrutiny, which was not anticipated by the code writers, shows faceting.

Some requests have been made to allow more accurate representations of small object, but an exact method and analysis on impact of performance have not been determined.

Scott D Davis
2004-06-08, 04:11 PM
Goes back to the "what to model vs what not to model" debate. Do we really need to model nuts and bolts? Probably not.

Mark, what is your need to model something so small?

aaronrumple
2004-06-08, 05:14 PM
Eh. I was modeling nuts and bolts for a detailed stair rail model. We have enough info the shop drawings on a complex assembly should be very simple.

Did I care that the nuts and bolts weren't quite right in 3D? Nope.

mark.okikawa
2004-06-08, 09:26 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I'm actually asking for a client. She wants to create a mock-up of a hotel room for presentation purposes. The model is supposed to be a part of wine bottle holder or something. Of course, Revit isn't the right tool for this, but she wanted to give a try. I'll suggest Max or Viz to her.

I wanted to make sure that there wasn't a setting that I could tweak to smooth the curve.

Thanks again...