PDA

View Full Version : Folded roof

kshawks
2006-07-25, 02:32 PM
Well, here i am again with yet another tricky roof problem. How would one suggest to produce a roof like the attached pdf. Its no problem to fake this roof in on a 2d drawing in Autocad, however trying to modeling has been no fun.

dhurtubise
2006-07-25, 02:58 PM
Do you have a plan view ? But i don't see any issue with it, might have to be model using more then one roof object but can be done

aaronrumple
2006-07-25, 03:07 PM
This is one way (under 60 secoinds...)

Scott D Davis
2006-07-25, 03:18 PM
slope arrows would work. go to Help in Revit, and under the index tab, type in:

roofs, four-sided gable

This will give you an example to usefor what you are trying to do with an 8-sided gable.

darrenplewis
2006-07-25, 04:30 PM
I had to make an inplace family to be able to accurately get the two slopes as defined in your attached PDF. See attached

kshawks
2006-07-26, 12:41 AM
great responses. I really need to sit down and learn the roof slope arrows. I actually thought about using the extruded roof and void forms to create the roof. i will sit down and review this at length tonight.

Firmso
2006-07-26, 12:56 AM
Or check this post out.
http://discussion.autodesk.com/thread.jspa?messageID=5208833

Scott D Davis
2006-07-26, 06:40 PM
Well, it was easy, until I looked at the picture again and realized the peak of the roof was elevated, so each ridge is sloped!

Attached image is without the sloped ridges....

Scott D Davis
2006-07-26, 06:51 PM
ok, still pretty easy using slope arrows. I've highlighted one slope arrow in the attached image, otherwise it was hard to tell which arrow was where.

Steve_Stafford
2006-07-27, 06:11 AM
I don't think the form is so much the issue as meeting the exact slope depicted in the pdf. The slope arrow technique means you have to either experiment with slope or offset combined with the slope arrow start and end points along the face...or...work out the ratio of the two slopes against the width of the gable and the run of the ridge. Ugh, higher math :wink:

As a component family you can build one according to each pitch with a blend and voids. Then array it in an in-place roof family. Pick your poison. :smile:

kshawks
2006-07-27, 02:33 PM
I gotta say, you really have put some effort into this one Steve. I agree, there appears to be two options. Either one can get the desired look; however, at this time i think I'm going to focus more with the slope arrows. I got a brief reprieve on the time line, so I am going to really sit down and study these options. These responses have just backed up my belief in these forums. If you have got a question just ask.

Steve_Stafford
2006-07-27, 03:01 PM
...I gotta say, you really have put some effort into this one Steve...Thanks, but not really, the example took only a couple more minutes than the slope arrow method.

dazza163968596
2006-07-27, 04:02 PM
Try SketchUP.
Draw the footprint of the roof & extrude it up to the eaves height, on the top surface draw in the valley lines, use the move tool and select the intersection of all the valley lines, move this up along the blue axis by the height of the ridge above the eaves ie 1000mm, then draw the fold lines from the ridge to the mid points of the facets at the eaves, using the move tool again select the eaves end of the line you have just drawn and move this up along the blue axis the required height ie 500mm. Save the SketchUP file & exit.

In Revit
Under massing tools create new mass, import the sketch up file, move it to the required location and finish the mass. Apply roof by face to each pair of folded roof sections in turn then click create roof. all done

Total time about 2 minutes. no maths just heights above the eaves. now in v9 if you need to increase the overhang just use the shape handles if the new roof & stretch.