PDA

View Full Version : Linking Files

ddodge.115831
2006-07-26, 02:21 PM
If I have a Project and I link a building addition to the existing building file but would later down the road like to turn that link into a import, is that possible? Because the existing building file is still being updated and design options on the new addition are being worked on. So link works for now but eventually when the existing is done I would like to just have the new addition be part of the same central file instead of just linked in. And if so how do I do that? Thanks in advance.

jpolding
2006-07-26, 03:16 PM
Are you talking about linking an rvt or a dwg?

It's possible do what you've described but the method differs depending on the file type.

ddodge.115831
2006-07-26, 03:28 PM
I was talking about linking a rvt. of the addition to the rvt of the exsisting, and so on...

jpolding
2006-07-26, 06:47 PM
Okay, thanks for clarifying. Just so you know, you have extensive capabilites with linked rvt files in version 9. You can section, schedule, control visibility, use views and the list goes on. Keeping it as a link also can help with coordination, VPN and hardware issues. But if you're set on severing the link you can do it this way:

In "existing (building)" go to File-Manage Links-Revit-Unload (addition)

In "addition" file go to a 3D view and select everything and Edit-copy to clipboard.

Back in the "existing" file go to a 3D view Edit-Paste Aligned-Select Level by Name