PDA

View Full Version : Plywood pattern won't align?

patricks
2006-07-26, 04:47 PM
I can't seem to get the OOTB plywood drafting fill pattern to align with element. It still looks odd if the plywood detail component is anything other than horizontal. I tried Orient to View, Keep Readable, and Align with Element, but the pattern never changes. Anyone having this problem? Have a look at the attached file.

aaronrumple
2006-07-26, 04:58 PM
From the help: "This property affects how drafting patterns appear when used as cut patterns in hosts (walls, floors, roofs, ceilings.)" So, filled regions are not affected by this setting.

patricks
2006-07-26, 06:12 PM
well that really sucks.... major oversight if you ask me, to introduce such a feature for drafting fill patterns and not even be able to use it in detail components containing such patterns :(

patricks
2006-07-27, 02:09 PM
I just realized that the older plywood family looks better than this new line-based family if it's anything other than horizontal. At least on the older family the plywood layer lines will stay aligned to the object.

And also, is there not a way to flip which side of the line the component goes on while in between picking the two endpoints?

kshawks
2006-07-27, 02:36 PM
I agree with you on they general appearance of the new plywood. The older version looks better.

patricks
2006-07-27, 04:21 PM
I ended up replacing the OOTB plywood section component with my own that looks like the old one, but is line-based like the new one. Instead of a single filled region with a plywood pattern, I used 3 separate filled regions with diagonal up and down fills just like the old plywood detail component. Try it if you want it.

David Kim
2006-08-19, 05:16 PM
Thanks Patricks...

dbaldacchino
2006-08-19, 07:54 PM
Yes, I don't like how the drafting pattern orientation feature was implemented. Patterns, just like in ACAD, should have rotation and scale parameters in my opinion, although orienting with the element in a cut view was a definate improvement. That way you can make adjustments when used in filled regions, etc. Lack of having a scale parameter is a major oversight as you end up having to create multiple patterns if you don't like the size of an existing one; with a scaling parameter you could just use the same one and scale up or down. I understand the argument that drafting patterns scale with the view, but sometimes there are instances where you want to tighten a pattern and you're forced to create a new one.