PDA

View Full Version : Accessing MV Block information when embedded in a Xref

pangell
2006-07-26, 08:17 PM
I have a drawing with an xref that I put in to a drawing. I then copied the xref so I have 2 in my drawing. When I add a door tag to my doors. The door tag will pick up the room number from the first xref. but the it will not pick up the room number from the second xref that I copied. It says space not found. But my room callouts will pick up the info. from both xref. drawings. Does any one have any info why this will not work?????????

Wanderer
2006-07-27, 01:28 AM
I have a drawing with an xref that I put in to a drawing. I then copied the xref so I have 2 in my drawing. When I add a door tag to my doors. The door tag will pick up the room number from the first xref. but the it will not pick up the room number from the second xref that I copied. It says space not found. But my room callouts will pick up the info. from both xref. drawings. Does any one have any info why this will not work?????????can you clarify which product and release you're using, please? (i'm assuming adt?).

pangell
2006-07-27, 11:40 AM
Autocad / Adt 2006

dkoch
2006-07-27, 11:49 AM
I have a drawing with an xref that I put in to a drawing. I then copied the xref so I have 2 in my drawing. When I add a door tag to my doors. The door tag will pick up the room number from the first xref. but the it will not pick up the room number from the second xref that I copied. It says space not found. But my room callouts will pick up the info. from both xref. drawings. Does any one have any info why this will not work?????????
I have not ever tried to do what you are doing, but there is a difference here, in that the tags on the spaces [or whatever object you are using to hold your room data] are getting their information directly from the tagged object. When you mention room numbers in your door tags, I assume that the doors are getting the data from the spaces, through a location property. I have read other threads indicating a problem with location properties working when there are multiple instances of the same externally referenced file in a drawing. You might try the following as a work around to see if it helps:

Given BasePlan01.dwg to be externally referenced into Host.dwg multiple times.
Xref BasePlan01.dwg into Host.dwg once. The default name for the externally referenced block reference in Host.dwg will be BasePlan01.
Rename BasePlan01 to something else, say BasePlan01-A, inside Host.dwg. Keep the path to BasePlan01.dwg the same.
Xref BasePlane01.dwg into Host.dwg again.
Repeat steps 4 & 5 for each additional instance you need. If you like, you can also rename the last instance, for consistency's sake.
I have not tried the above, but I recall others writing that it would work. You might try it on a small sample file to be certain it works.

pangell
2006-07-27, 11:56 AM
You got it right. I will try that.