PDA

View Full Version : Working in a 3D view - Question

mzabritski
2006-07-26, 09:45 PM
I'm having a bit of trouble when changing to a 3D view. This most commonly occurs when I'm working on a storefront or curtain wall object.

1. I draw a basic storefront wall. (in an interior wall)

2. I zoom in on it in plan view

3. I change to 3D because I want to start working on the mullions.

4. The 3D view starts with the entire building (roof and all) with the storefront object I was working on lost somewhere in the building.

Question: Is there a way to isolate or jump to a specific object in 3D if you want to work on it? If not, how are you supposed to find / work on / check interior 3D objects such as casework and storefronts?

Thanks

DanielleAnderson
2006-07-26, 09:55 PM
Go into view properties and check "section box" and you can crop away 3d information. That's the fastest way.

Mr Spot
2006-07-26, 10:15 PM
You could also just select the wall and all panels/mullions in plan then switch to your 3D view with those elements still select and then use your hide/isolate tool to isolate those elements.

Note: these changes are temporary visibility changes for working only.

HTH.

mzabritski
2006-07-26, 10:39 PM
Mr Spot,

I tried that but it seems that the hide/isolate options are grayed out when I have something selected and switch to 3D. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Danielle,

Thanks, looks like that will work. I wish there was an easier way to do this. Still not a really elegant solution to quickly check on something in 3D. Too bad it doesnt handle it the way SketchUp does (a toggle to automatically hide everything else when editing a group)

DanielleAnderson
2006-07-27, 12:21 AM
Danielle,

Thanks, looks like that will work. I wish there was an easier way to do this. Still not a really elegant solution to quickly check on something in 3D. Too bad it doesnt handle it the way SketchUp does (a toggle to automatically hide everything else when editing a group)

Wow - that sounds like a cool idea. For the most part, though, I've found that I don't have to edit many things in 3d. If I need to get to an interior wall with mullions, I usually cut a section and look at it that way.

Steve_Stafford
2006-07-27, 05:45 AM
While spinning Revit will stay focused on the object you select. If your model spins out of the view, just make sure you select something in the view first. This is true for the default 3D view or other non camera views. Camera views will maintain the focus of the view as you spin the model.

Mr Spot
2006-07-28, 05:17 AM
Mr Spot,

I tried that but it seems that the hide/isolate options are grayed out when I have something selected and switch to 3D. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Danielle,

Odd no problems doing that here... Make sure the 3D view is open first. Then select the objects, switch back to your 3D view and use the hide/isolate option.

The other option would be to use Orient Other view in your 3D view to orient your 3D view to a sectional view or plan view. This will automatically update the section box to match your ortho view.