PDA

View Full Version : <Line styles>

Dimitri Harvalias
2006-07-27, 04:50 AM
I had client ask me today why certain pre-defined linestyles have the greater/less than brackets as part of their names and I couldn't figure out a good answer for him. Anyone have a definitive, or at the very least, plausible explanation?

LRaiz
2006-07-27, 05:20 AM
These are system defined line styles. There were two reasons for using <...> convention.

Provide a visual indication that these styles are special (e.g. they can not be deleted)
Make up system names in such a way that they would never be in conflict with user defined names (user can not type < or > as part of a name)

Unfortunately the Factory is not diligent in enforcing a consistent use of this convention. Some system styles do not follow this convention and thus things are a bit confusing.

Arnel Aguel
2006-07-27, 05:22 AM
I for one is also very interested to know what is the significance of that particular symbol. The only thing I know is that all predefined line styles belong to a sytem family and that you can only modify them but cannot delete them.

Steve_Stafford
2006-07-27, 05:41 AM
As Leonid implies, the following linestyles also are not alterable and therefore "system" linestyles. To be consistent they too should have the less than/greater than brackets. (those pictured in Dimitri's post)

Axis of Rotation
Hidden Lines
Insulation Batting Lines
Thin
Wide
Lines
Medium

Arnel Aguel
2006-07-27, 05:46 AM
As Leonid implies, the following linestyles also are not alterable and therefore "system" linestyles. To be consistent they too should have the less than/greater than brackets. (those pictured in Dimitri's post)

Axis of Rotation
Hidden Lines
Insulation Batting Lines
Thin
Wide
Lines
MediumMeaning this has been left out by the factory? or they have something else in mind?

Dimitri Harvalias
2006-07-27, 05:46 AM
Thanks for the quick reply Leonid. I figured it had something to do with system families but the half and half approach (some with, some without) was what caused the confusion. :beer:

Steve_Stafford
2006-07-27, 05:59 AM
Meaning this has been left out by the factory? or they have something else in mind?Well...only the factory can add the brackets around the linestyles since we can't delete or rename them. This renders them "system" linestyles eh? :smile:

jamie.casile80054
2007-12-19, 02:54 AM
ok, just for clarification. there is no reason why some of the system defined lines have <> (greater than and less then symbol brackets) and some dont? They should all have brackets on them in theory. And basically all the Line Styles that cannot be deleted are system defined ones, is that right?
thanks,
jamie

Steve_Stafford
2007-12-19, 03:40 AM
...ok, just for clarification. there is no reason why some of the system defined lines have <> (greater than and less then symbol brackets) and some dont?...There IS a reason (a couple) but the factory has not consistently applied the naming logic that was started so it is now, there "was" a reason. :screwy:

aaronrumple
2007-12-19, 05:23 AM
These are system defined line styles. There were two reasons for using <...> convention.

Provide a visual indication that these styles are special (e.g. they can not be deleted)
Make up system names in such a way that they would never be in conflict with user defined names (user can not type < or > as part of a name)Unfortunately the Factory is not diligent in enforcing a consistent use of this convention. Some system styles do not follow this convention and thus things are a bit confusing.

Linestlyes can use<...>. I've added <...< styles to our template so they look line part of our "system" and to keep users from messing with them.

aaronrumple
2007-12-19, 05:28 AM
Axis of Rotation
Hidden Lines
Insulation Batting Lines
Thin
Wide
Lines
Medium

Thin Wide and Medium are were just made up by those creating content for Revit, They can be deleted and wiped from the Revit system. (...takes some effort to track them all down.)

dbaldacchino
2007-12-19, 05:44 AM
"Thin Lines", "Medium Lines" and "Wide Lines" are automatically created and cannot be deleted even when you create a project from no template. Also, I tried adding "<" to the name but Revit won't let you. How are you able to do any of these things, besides being a Maharishi? ;)

aaronrumple
2007-12-19, 06:43 PM
My bad...
I was working on our company template at the time and editing line patterns. Not line styles....
I was making <Overhead> <Hidden> etc line patters so I could associate those with the line style. Brain fart.... ;-)

dbaldacchino
2007-12-19, 07:12 PM
Haha, np....you're excused. You only get one pass a year, especially for people with your status ;) Good thing the year is almost over!