PDA

View Full Version : Group X-Y Gizmo

raddis
2006-07-28, 01:56 PM
I noticed that after creating a group, it has this X-Y Gizmo that I think is at the group center. I foolishly thought that you could drag this gizmo and have the group move, but of course only the gizmo moves.

What is the purpose of the gizmo, and is there a way to get it back to the group's center if you accidentally move it?

Steve_Stafford
2006-07-28, 02:02 PM
"Think" about three groups that are interchangeable. The gizmo is your "base/origin point" so they can all share the same base/origin point. When you swap the groups they maintain their common origin. If you are not swapping them out, then it isn't as important necessarily.

raddis
2006-07-28, 03:09 PM
OK, but....
How do I get the gizmo back to its "default" position if it is moved?

aaronrumple
2006-07-28, 03:50 PM
OK, but....
Why bother? The default just uses the center of the geometry. There is nothing special about it's location, unless as Steve said, you are swapping groups. Even then you don't need to position the gizmo until you need to make a swap. So if the position bothers you - just move it. Your placement will be just as valid as the guess Revit made when the group was created.

Scott D Davis
2006-07-28, 06:31 PM
OK, but....
ungroup.....re-group? not sure of any other way.

kshawks
2006-07-28, 07:07 PM
Scott's right. I messed around with the origin one time and move it. It started bothering me (at the time) that it wasn't there anymore so I grouped and regrouped it again. Anymore I just ignore the darn thing.

raddis
2006-07-31, 02:12 PM
Ok.
So it is sort of useless, sort of (except the swap thing).
Thanks.

David Haynes
2006-07-31, 03:42 PM
The origin could be used to make sure the group is always inserted at specific point. One example is that I want the group to be 12" left of the bottom left hand corner.

There are probably other examples that I could think of, it would depend on the usage of the group.