PDA

View Full Version : Rendering in 3DSmax

ehw
2006-07-28, 04:14 PM
Hello all. I've built everything I need to in Revit, and I want to export to Max for a very high quality render. I have experience in both programs, but I have yet to export. I was wondering if there were any tips for settings upon exports, sequences of when to do things, etc. I really can't waste too much time exploring this, so any help would be great. Thanks in advance.

aaronrumple
2006-07-28, 04:20 PM
Hello all. I've built everything I need to in Revit, and I want to export to Max for a very high quality render. I have experience in both programs, but I have yet to export. I was wondering if there were any tips for settings upon exports, sequences of when to do things, etc. I really can't waste too much time exploring this, so any help would be great. Thanks in advance.The basics apply. Turn off stuff that will not be rendered - such as furniture inside the building - so you have fewer faces. Make sure your object have materials assigned. I think it is faster to name them in Revit and then swap them out to materials created in Viz.

The exports are pretty clean. I've had a few ceilings that required some additional faceting cleanup in Viz. Or a higher radiosity or rendering resolution to smooth things out.

chris.hitchcock.nz
2006-08-01, 12:37 AM
Yeah Aaron is right, clean up the revit as much as you can, and it will import nicely to 3ds Max via Autocad dwg export from Revit. You can mess around with the layer export functions from Revit (decides what elements go to which layers) which is quite good for organising in 3ds Max later. When you file link into max there is a Revit preset under the file link manager dialogue box. If you have a big Revit file, pressing 'h' or 'Select' in MAX brings up a gigantic list of individual pieces, great for individual control but can be annoying scrolling through all the items to select. The layer controls in Max are a better way of selecting and controlling your dwg import, that or under the Material dialogue box, selecting a Scene Material breaks the model into easier chunks to allocate new 3dsMax materials to. Hope that helps, i do a lot of Revit to Max in our firm, we use Revit Building 8.1 and Max 8.0 SP3.

Arnel Aguel
2006-08-01, 04:12 AM
You have to take advantage of "propagate material to instances" in max/viz to avoid scrolling a long list of objects this feature will save you tons of time just by turning it on/off at the right time. When you want the same material for all instances just turn the feature on select one object and apply the material and it will be applied to all instances and vice versa its a real time saver specially files coming from revit.