PDA

View Full Version : Revit for Dictators

DanielleAnderson
2006-07-28, 05:37 PM
Just out of curiosity - and not that I am advocating using or not using this feature if it exists - can you take certain editing capabilities away in Revit? For example, if we only wanted people to be able to choose RomanS text or Universal text and NOTHING else, is there a way to customize Revit so that there are basic users (who have limited edititing capabilities) and administrator users who have full control? Similar to how administrators can customize windows and remove or lock tools for basic users?

aaronrumple
2006-07-28, 08:23 PM
Just out of curiosity - and not that I am advocating using or not using this feature if it exists - can you take certain editing capabilities away in Revit? For example, if we only wanted people to be able to choose RomanS text or Universal text and NOTHING else, is there a way to customize Revit so that there are basic users (who have limited edititing capabilities) and administrator users who have full control? Similar to how administrators can customize windows and remove or lock tools for basic users?
Just transfer project standards and worksets.
You could checkout all the families and not return them. Of course someone like me will still manage to steal them back and change them.

DanielleAnderson
2006-07-28, 09:31 PM
Just transfer project standards and worksets.
You could checkout all the families and not return them. Of course someone like me will still manage to steal them back and change them.

Yes - and we have a template. There is just a PM here who would like to take away some of the control from the average or new user so they don't decide to get creative and ditch the office standards. I was just wondering (because I had not heard mention of it) if there was a way to "customize" the UI.

ron.sanpedro
2006-07-28, 10:14 PM
Yes - and we have a template. There is just a PM here who would like to take away some of the control from the average or new user so they don't decide to get creative and ditch the office standards. I was just wondering (because I had not heard mention of it) if there was a way to "customize" the UI.

Funny thing is, I don't worry so much because in Revit, if someone manks up the dim style it just takes a few seconds to fix. Not like AutoCAD where 25% of my CAD Management time is just fixing broken stuff. One of the reasons why a bad day in Revit is still better than a bad day in AutoCAD. And maybe better than a good day in AutoCAD.

Best,
Gordon