PDA

View Full Version : moving newly created wall styles to new project

bdcombs
2006-07-28, 06:11 PM
I am sorry to ask but being a complete newbie I have been unable to figure this out in the program help or on forums. I have a few new wall styles created and when I started a new project I can not get the new wall styles in to the new project. Help.
Thanks,
Brian

Scott D Davis
2006-07-28, 06:22 PM
copy and paste walls that you create into your template. Every new project started from the that template will have them preloaded. Or just copy and paste from one project to another.

Dimitri Harvalias
2006-07-28, 06:32 PM
There are a number of ways.
A simple copy/paste operation will do it or you can use transfer project standards.

To do it one by one open both your old and new projects. Go to the project browser and find the new wall style, right click and copy to clipboard. Go to the new project and in a plan view, paste from clipboard . The new wall style will be loaded and available for use from the type selector.
If you have a couple of styles to copy you can select actual wall segments from one project and copy to the other
If you want to copy all wall styles from one project to another use the transfer project standards command from the file menu. Keep in ind this will overwrite wall styles with the same names (if you choose to.. a warning dialogue will come up)
Whichever way you choose it will eventually be best to save your wall styles as part of your template file.

ron.sanpedro
2006-07-28, 06:33 PM
copy and paste walls that you create into your template. Every new project started from the that template will have them preloaded. Or just copy and paste from one project to another.

Scott,
isn't there a way to import walls from an RVT file?
We are going to end up with a huge library, logically seperated into two groups, interior partitions and exterior walls types. The former would have about 15 that are office standard, but only 4 or 5 ever get used in any particular project. The latter could be 20 or 30, with often only one or two being used in a project.
I would not want to store all those in the template, especially the exterior ones that can be very complex, but asking people to open a file and copy paste actual instances is a chore. Ideally I would want two RVT files on the server containing all those wall families, and you just import the families you need into your project.

Best,
Gordon

kshawks
2006-07-28, 07:02 PM
Is the transfer project standards a new feature in 9. I have always used the copy and paste technique its pretty simple.

Dimitri Harvalias
2006-07-28, 07:39 PM
Gordon,

I do exactly as you are suggesting. I have a wall styles.rvt file I use to store all my wall types. I then use that to tranfer project standards if I want to copy all styles to my current project or cut and paste from one to another. I keep a short segment of each wall style in the project, each witha text label for easy identification, and then I can just ctrl/select the ones I need.

Sean,
Transfer project standards has been around as long as I can recall. (At least R7, that's as far back as any office computer still has installed :lol: )
It's not only useful for loading wall styles but any number of object styles. It is very powerful and it's the easiest way to impose standards on a project file.

bdcombs
2006-07-28, 07:48 PM
Thanks guys. That was easier than I was trying to make it. Stupid question and I am sure I will ask many more while getting up to speed. I kept right clicking and could not find the copy option that way so I gave up.

ron.sanpedro
2006-07-28, 07:53 PM
[QUOTE=HCSL]Gordon,

I do exactly as you are suggesting. I have a wall styles.rvt file I use to store all my wall types. I then use that to tranfer project standards if I want to copy all styles to my current project or cut and paste from one to another. I keep a short segment of each wall style in the project, each witha text label for easy identification, and then I can just ctrl/select the ones I need.

I guess my wishlist item is to be able to pull over just the ones I want. If I have to pull over everything I might as well include them in the template.

Thanks,
Gordon

aaronrumple
2006-07-28, 08:26 PM
[QUOTE=HCSL]Gordon,

I guess my wishlist item is to be able to pull over just the ones I want. If I have to pull over everything I might as well include them in the template.

Thanks,
Gordon
Transfer standards will let you pick only the walls you want. Make sure uses are not transfering other things from this file as well....

You can also create a bunch of walls and save then as a group. then just load the groups of walls you need.

ron.sanpedro
2006-07-28, 09:00 PM
Transfer standards will let you pick only the walls you want. Make sure uses are not transfering other things from this file as well....

You can also create a bunch of walls and save then as a group. then just load the groups of walls you need.

Ah, tricksie. I like that. As for pulling over extra stuff, I found that to be a great use of starting a project without a template. It really minimizes what is in the file to pull over by mistake, and they automatically have names that clue you in. I didn't realize you could be selective with the stards import. Cool.

Thanks,
Gordon