PDA

View Full Version : Can you not load imported categories in linked files?

dbaldacchino
2006-07-29, 12:33 AM
I have a linked RS3 model in my RB9 project. The linked file is only about 18MB and used to load very fast. But lately, our structural group has linked a ton of dwg detail files to the project and it takes a lifetime to open! I cannot figure out a way to get around this. My project is taking ages to open and all I care about is the Revit model. After all, I cannot even see the views containing the dwg files (drafting views). Is there some way to get around this? Thanks!

dbaldacchino
2006-07-31, 05:19 PM
So I guess I know the answer to this one.....It sure would we useful 'cause it's boggong us down big time. One more reason to NOT use dwgs.

greg.mcdowell
2006-07-31, 06:05 PM
Might be too late to help but I read somewhere that one way to handle this is to put the imported DWG's on their own Workset and to open the file with it turned off... hope it works for you.

dbaldacchino
2006-08-06, 03:24 PM
Thanks Greg. Unfortunately, the imported dwgs are not in the model, but in drafting views. These become part of the view workset of that drafting view, which you have no control over when linking an rvt file.

I noticed also that if you link the dwg to a plan view and you check the option to link in "Current View Only", the same thing happens....the dwg is on the view workset. But....and I thought this is kinda weird.....if you uncheck the "Current View Only" option, it will give you the option to place it on a user-defined workset! I don't understand the logic. This might be a way to do it, but then you have to manage that dwg's visibility in other views manually or through view templates. The good thing is that dwgs know what workplanel they're on, so that might not be too bad as, depending on your view range settings, those dwgs might not be visible in other levels without requiring the user to change any visibility settings. In this case, we could in the future just use plan views with model and annotation categories turned off, thus acting as drafting views with sizeable crop regions.