PDA

View Full Version : Research for class assignment

mist
2006-07-30, 11:05 PM
I'm working on an assignment for class in which I need to interview people that use AutoCAD in the field. I would be extremely thankful to anyone who could answer any or all of the following questions.

1. Your name, location, profession?
2. What type(s) of service do you provide using AutoCAD?
3. Do you use AutoCAD for all phases of the design process, if not, what phases do you utilize it for?
4. Do you use any form of standardization? If so do you use a specific system? (ie: National CAD Standard)
5. What advantages or disadvantages do you feel AutoCAD brings to your design process?

Mike.Perry
2006-07-30, 11:17 PM
Hi "enola" ( Sorry, I do not know your real name )

Please note I have *moved* this thread from the Skunk Werx Lounge (http://forums.augi.com/forumdisplay.php?f=172) forum to this one, as I feel this particular forum is a more appropriate place for such a topic.

Thanks, Mike

Forum Manager

Mike.Perry
2006-07-30, 11:19 PM
Hi

To help you get going, try plugging the following search criteria into the forum search (http://forums.augi.com/search.php?) facility...

Key Word(s): Name + Location + Profession

Have a good one, Mike

Pontoon
2006-07-31, 01:12 PM
1. Helen, Aberdeen Scotland, Asset Document Controller
2. I administrate/control CAD files for an offshore installation in the North Sea. This includes tracking revisions, scripting files and loading the files into our database. General problem solving eg, locating missing xrefs, font files etc...
3. Nope we use Microstation as our standard, but most our vendors use AutoCAD so we need to deal with both.
4. We do have standards, but they are out of date as our drafting is all done outside mainly with the vendor who has the maintenance contract for the installation.
5. Unsure as we do not use it for design in house. There are issues within the viewing package we use on our database as it prints out 2 pages the 2nd one being blank. Other than occasional font/xref problems I don't really come across anything. As for advantages, the main one being that is is an industry standard, though the company I work for hasn't switched over to it yet... though it is possible that it might in the near future.

Hope this helps.
Good luck with your research .

mist
2006-08-02, 07:45 PM
Thank you so much, it definately helps. I am very excited about learning how AutoCAD is used in different fields and appreciate your insight.

Mike, thanks for moving it.

robert.1.hall72202
2006-08-02, 08:22 PM
1. Robert Hall
2. I use AutoCad to generate Product/Process designs
for an Automotive manufacturing facility.
3. I use AutoCad for all design phases, quote, prototypes, final production.
4. No specific Cad standard in use. Created a company standard
based on the product that is manufacturing. Plain english, tailored a standard.
5. Autocad advantages:
Saves money that could be wasted on uneccessary prototypes.
Allows for a really good study of product tolerances under min/max part conditions.
There would be oodles of math to accomplish a tolerance study that is otherwise
eliminated using electronic part data.

.chad
2006-08-02, 08:25 PM
1. chad - louisville, ky - intern architect
2. construction documents, schematic plans, site planning
3. yep. use hand sketches also, but mostly cad
4. we use some form yes, not a good one though.
5. its a definate learning curve from hand drawings in school, but i am slowly coming around to using it for design. it is definately faster to get quick massing models and accurate plans / elevations for schematic and presentation purposes.

mist
2006-08-03, 03:07 AM
Once again, thank you very much.

thomas.stright
2006-08-03, 10:27 AM
1. Thomas Stright, Washington DC, Plumber working as Mechanical Coordinator.
2. Shop and Fabrication Dwgs for field use, Also MEP Contract.
3. Everything from pre-bit to as-build are done on AutoCAD.
4. Company standard, Pretty much plain English.
5. Allows us to bring down costs in the field by doing 3D coordinated designs in-house.

CADKitty
2006-08-03, 08:27 PM
1. Jen, Albany, NY, CADD Coordinator for an engineering firm
2. We're MEP engineers - Mechanical, Electrical, Plumbing, Fire Protection for commercial buildings. We use AutoCAD to create all of our drawings.
3. Sure...ask me to explain it to you after I'm done writing them! :lol:
4. Oh my goodness, the advantages are numerous - speed, neatness, being able to use standard blocks and tables to save time and keep a nice, uniform look. The only disadvantages I can think of are that the architects use it, too, and think that they can send us new plans right before we're supposed to finish the project! :banghead:

Railrose
2006-08-03, 08:38 PM
1. My name is Jane Smith, from Abilene, TX, & I'm a self-employed contract drafter.

2. Currently, I'm contracted out to an electric company in a department that maintains power plants. I am sort of a drawing librarian, as well as a restoration tech. I scan, clean & update old drawings, then access them as needed by the engineers.

3. I use AutoCAD with Raster Design for everything.

4. No real standards here because the engineers are all of different backgrounds & aren't interested in standards.

5. AutoCAD & Raster Design work faster & more accurately than most photo editors.

If I can answer any more questions or be of further assistance, feel free to let me know. Best of luck in your endeavors.

mist
2006-08-06, 04:08 AM
Thanks a bunch, I like the "drawing librarian" bit.

pdavis
2006-08-13, 10:55 PM
1. Pat - Kansas City - BIM Manager
2. construction documents, schematic plans, site planning (Architectural, Structural)
3. ADT is the standard, but moving to Revit. Also use Bentley's products
4. Architectural Offices utilize CAD guidelines. Structural group is a free-for-all.
5. Too many to list, but BIM offers far more advantages over CAD