PDA

View Full Version : Family Objects are duplicating?

dgraue
2006-07-31, 07:28 PM
We have been noticing that family objects such as kitchen sinks and bathroom toilet objects are duplicating themselves in our project. For instance, we start out by loading a kitchen sink into the project then insert that sink into some of the apartment plans. Looking at the project browser, this shows up under Families, Plumbing Fixtures, Kitchen Sink-Double. Somewhere along the way these objects show up in the project browser as duplicate objects (Kitchen Sink-Double1, Kitchen Sink-Double2, Kitchen Sink-Double3, etc.).

I have tried to re-create this problem in a new project by inserting a kitchen sink, grouping a plan and then copy that plan around and up onto other levels. I have edited some of the groups and moved things around but still only have one Kitchen Sing-Double in the project browser.

Has anyone else run into family objects duplicating themselves? Any thoughts as to why this happens and how to prevent it?

Thanks.
DG

shaunamorain
2006-07-31, 09:06 PM
I have never had that happen, sorry.

patricks
2006-07-31, 09:40 PM
This can sometimes happen when copying and pasting elements and families between projects. What you can do to clean them up is right-click on one of the duplicate families, select all objects, and then change them all to be the originally loaded family. Then you can go back and delete the duplicate family.

Firmso
2006-07-31, 10:35 PM
We have been noticing that family objects such as kitchen sinks and bathroom toilet objects are duplicating themselves in our project. For instance, we start out by loading a kitchen sink into the project then insert that sink into some of the apartment plans. Looking at the project browser, this shows up under Families, Plumbing Fixtures, Kitchen Sink-Double. Somewhere along the way these objects show up in the project browser as duplicate objects (Kitchen Sink-Double1, Kitchen Sink-Double2, Kitchen Sink-Double3, etc.).

I have tried to re-create this problem in a new project by inserting a kitchen sink, grouping a plan and then copy that plan around and up onto other levels. I have edited some of the groups and moved things around but still only have one Kitchen Sing-Double in the project browser.

Has anyone else run into family objects duplicating themselves? Any thoughts as to why this happens and how to prevent it?

Thanks.
DG

Just wondering, Were there any pop-up warnings indicating that a multitute of the same family is being duplicated and occuring sometime while in the process? Thanks

dgraue
2006-07-31, 10:40 PM
No, we never saw any pop-up warnings. We haven't pasted any elements between projects either (as Patricks suggested). I can't determine when it happens, but we have a ton of duplicate family objects.

Firmso
2006-07-31, 10:52 PM
No, we never saw any pop-up warnings. We haven't pasted any elements between projects either (as Patricks suggested). I can't determine when it happens, but we have a ton of duplicate family objects.

If nobody else worked on this project and it is critical, I would recommend you contact support and let them help you before things get really ugly.
One way though this may happen is somebody trying to create different sink families and is unfamaliar with the steps to do it and just keeps pressing ok on the Edit/New > Duplicate properties