PDA

View Full Version : Flat Roofs - How?

mmulvey
2006-08-01, 11:00 PM
How can one create a complex, drained flat roof as used in millions of mostly commercial/industrial buildings in the US (And many more world-wide).

Roof would have shallow pitch (min. 1/8" per foot) with exterior edges level and internal faces sloping toward multiple drains - see sketch. Lines with short dashes represent sloped valleys. Circles in rectangles are drains at low points.

I know I could create a basic flat roof then use in-place families to create the slopes tbut that would be a pain and not at all intuitive nor easy to manipulate.

Any suggestions????

dgraue
2006-08-01, 11:54 PM
I've attached an example that you can look at to see if this method would work for you.
DG

mmulvey
2006-08-02, 12:03 AM
Thank you - I see what you did and that's certainly one workaround but its a pity that the roofs don't act as a whole and I can see all sorts of hassles trying to get edges to align.

I just think that this is something that Revit should have had from the beginning and if not should have been on the front burner for new releases ever since - Can't believe that we're at r9.0 and still don't have a good flat roof tool.

Imagine a roof tool where you specify the perimeter, high point and ridges/valleys. basically the way we used to calculate complex roofs before CAD.Would be very flexible for all sorts of roofs.

dgraue
2006-08-02, 12:07 AM
I agree. What I posted is pretty simple in that each valley is 45 degrees. Any other angle would be very complex to work out manually.

Firmso
2006-08-02, 12:10 AM
Any other angle would be very complex to work out manually.

"-----------------Exactly-----------------"

Firmso
2006-08-02, 12:17 AM
"-----------------Exactly-----------------"

Someone posted somewhat similar:

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=40614&highlight=roof+slope