PDA

View Full Version : I need help with a ridge please...

crullier
2006-08-03, 03:36 PM
I have modeled the attached roof using two different roof objects, and I would like or need for both roofs to have the same slope 4 1/2" : 12. and I for that to happen I need the small ridge In the picture to be straight. I have search the forum but I cant find anything. can someone please help?

rhys
2006-08-03, 05:02 PM
Try using slope arrows to define the slope along each the edge of the roof instead of roof slopes at eaves. "Creating Dormer with the slope arrow tool" in the help file may be a starting point.

crullier
2006-08-03, 05:12 PM
okay, let me take a look at that =) thanks

DoTheBIM
2006-08-04, 02:17 PM
I think this is what your after. If not let me know and I'll try again. Revit doesn't make this easy, but it can be done if you have a fair bit of experience with complex roof geometry. If you know what the change in elevation from eave to peak is, slope arrows are the way to go. My model is not exact, but should give you a general Idea, and if I'd of spent more time on it I'd have probably done it different and more exact. Let us know if you need more help.

crullier
2006-08-04, 08:01 PM
very cool, the only thing, and I am starting to think that maybe the CAD plans in trying to model from arent accurate, is that rafter in the middle the only thing that differs.

DoTheBIM
2006-08-04, 08:31 PM
well I just added that one cause I thought it was a bay window type condition, it is a separate roof and can be removed. Curious as to the application that you wouldn't want that there.

I never assume someone else's CAD files are 100% correct. They may be correct in the general sense of look and feel, but they usually don't work "exactly" for what I need to do and always end up getting changed to make the building build-able. It's nothing personal, Everyone has to make thing work for what they need to do, Many files supplied to us are meant for looks and estimations (whatever it takes to make the sale), then we actually have to make the dimensions work and make sure loads and what not are all taken into account so we can build it and supply additional materials.

crullier
2006-08-04, 09:05 PM
what is exaclty what someone from autodesk told me, they sugested using an in-place family but to me that if "faking" it. - correct?

shaunamorain
2006-08-04, 10:41 PM
I'm not sure I totaly understand what you are doing but--have you tried making the roof bigger (a lot bigger) than it is supposed to be, and then trimming it down? For some reason this technique has worked for me.

crullier
2006-08-04, 11:46 PM
I am going to model this in max and post the CAD files tomorrow =)

crullier
2006-08-07, 03:11 PM
okay as I promised, this is the CAD file I was given to model from. (actually this was an ADT model which I am trying to model in REVIT so that have both versions. now in ADT in do not have the rear of the house since it was not needed at the time.

http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/2471/questionho8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

DoTheBIM
2006-08-07, 03:25 PM
I'd be willing to wager money that what you see in the cad file was drawn in 2D only and the user did not understand how the roof planes would fall together. What Revit showed you in your first attempt is exactly what your cad file shows on the top view, but, the cad file for the side view does not represent what the top view is showing. Again, I'd bet on 2D and either lack of experience or missed error. if you want the side view you would have to do just a 90 degree bumpout with a simple hip roof. Your 3D model doesn't quite make sense to me. It looks like the roof plane on the far right doesn't agree with the roof plane on the far left. Maybe its just the position of the view, can you send a dwg solid model?