PDA

View Full Version : Setting up a new project

scottwadd345906
2006-08-03, 06:22 PM
For a competition I need to model a site, a new building, and four existing buildings that are slightly off axis from each other. At first I modelled the existing buildings separately (and orthagonally) then linked them into the site, positioned them, and published the shared coordinates. But then I realized we need to move program pieces (rooms) from building to building and show color fills, so that means the new building and all four existing buildings have to be in one file.

So how should I model the existing buildings with variably skewed axis? Is there a way to rotate a view to align to the building grid instead of project north or true north? Thanks.

Steve_Stafford
2006-08-03, 07:56 PM
Should still work, just create or delete the rooms as they relate to each building as they move around. You can schedule rooms in the master site project if you need to assemble an overall schedule of rooms.

You can create color fill plans for each building and place them on sheets in each building file. Using the new expanded options for linked file visibility in RB9 you can also show the color fill plans of the linked files in the Master Site file if you like.

scottwadd345906
2006-08-03, 11:07 PM
Okay, I'll try that. (I used your oped tutorial on sharing locations.) Why is it better to keep each building in a separate file instead of in a single file with separate worksets? If we decide to combine them into one file for the ease of moving rooms around, is there a way to rotate views to align to the building grid?

Steve_Stafford
2006-08-03, 11:44 PM
For me it is more flexible as things change. Since you are already moving program items from building to building, what if they decide to change their location or elevations (bldgs that is)? The linked strategy means it is a minor task to alter them in the site master file. All in one and now you need individual levels for each building and managing the visibilty of datum for each via scope boxes etc. Creating rooms for each building will be awkward to keep on track according to program but in the end that is "easier" perhaps than having to deal with the other?

If you put it all together you can rotate the crop region of individual views to orient each as needed. Scope boxes can make this a little easier since a scope box will manage the crop region of each view assign to it. If you use them you may have to rotate the scope box once to get the orientation you want. It is a little hit or miss when you sketch one the first time whether it will define the rotation you are after.

Comes down to which change you like managing the least I guess? :smile: