PDA

View Full Version : Cutting the corner out of a wall sweep

tomnewsom
2006-08-04, 09:28 AM
This is the same parapet I was talking about the other day :)

There is a metal coping running along the top of this parapet, but at the corners, I want to chop a 125mm square out, which matches up with the 'birdsmouth' corner of the walls below. I try and use an inplace void to cut it out, which works, but as soon as I finish editing the family, I get the errors:

1. Can't regenerate Family "Corner Cornice Cut". Edit Family to modify it.
2. Host can't be cut because it has no geometry.

It has geometry, I can see the damn stuff!
I'm going to have to do the whole thing in-place aren't I :mad:

Melarch
2006-08-04, 11:47 AM
How did you do the metal coping? Is it an wall sweep in the wall type or a hosted wall sweep? If it is the latter, you should be able to pull the grip back off the corners to achieve a very close corner cut as you show in your thumbnail sketch.

The reason a void does not work is that a void must be part of a solid family of geometry in order to have existing geometry to cut in the first place.

tomnewsom
2006-08-04, 12:40 PM
Weird - I've done entirely void families to cut roofs before with no complaints...

If I pull the grips back, the corner comes undone and the two parts intersect each other, which is not what I want, obviously. I think I will end up creating a custom corner piece and pulling the sweep back to the edges of that. Cheers for the help anyway!