PDA

View Full Version : Interoperability between Revit and AutoCAD

david.metcalf
2006-08-04, 04:52 PM
I apologize if a similar posting of mine shows up somewhere, I could not find it after submitting it!

I am reviewing a white paper titled Autodesk Revit Interoperability with CAD and documenting the procedure to add to Office CAD Manuals.

The basis is to export the views needed so to create AutoCAD DWG of the views, then x-reference the views into new drawings with titlesheet. then add more linework, dimensions and annotations. Then the drawings can be plotted out of AutoCAD.

I am having a problem with the last part where the drawing can be re-referenced back into Revit to either show new AutoCAD linework over the relevant view with overlay option in the host file set. Or with with attachment option set for using as a mens to cross checking the drawing against the model.

When linking the AutoCAD file back into Revit nothing is showing. But when opening a drafting view i can link the drawing into the model and have it show.

Does anyone have this issue? I have used the procedure to link site plans into the drafting view and add to the cover sheet with good success.

But getting the drawings to show over the Model's plan view just isn't working as outlined in the White paper.

Thanks,
David

dbaldacchino
2006-08-04, 05:42 PM
Switch to wireframe to make sure the dwg is not being hidden by floors or slabs. Make sure your workplane is set to something that you can see in your current level. Dwg's get inserted/linked on whatever workplane is current. You should be able to see the dwg in 3D too. Alo, make sure that in V/G, under Imported Categories, that your dwg's checked as visible.

david.metcalf
2006-08-04, 06:10 PM
Hi David,

You are correct the linked file is showing up underneath the slab and wall model objects.
Swtching to wirefrsame displays the linework of the AutoCAD file. In a enlarged plan view how will I define the workplane by which the drawing should show up in?

Seems either the AOTC Migrating to Autodesk Revit tutorials are well satinized. Or my custom dataset is messed up?

David

Much later:
I worked on this for a bit and found by the plan view to wireframe and selecting the linked object I was able to change the properties to Foreground is that a good practice?

dbaldacchino
2006-08-05, 03:43 PM
Yep, I forgot to tell you that :) Just happened to me yesterday in fact. I inserted dwgs for floor patterns a while back and the second floor dwg would not display. Then I found it was underneath the slab in the background. You can either turn off the slab or go to wireframe or select the dwg and select the background option. I opted for the latter as in my case, I wanted to show the slab at some stair conditions.