PDA

View Full Version : Wblock - For Revit

nnguyen
2006-08-07, 04:20 PM
Unsure if this has been asked, did a search and haven't found anything...

I understand the use of the group function and family components in Revit. However, we have a project starting up in a month that is for a hospitality project (estimated 700,000 sq.ft.) that we are looking to use Revit for. The Project Manager brought up a concern.

In AutoCAD we can create a separate WBlock for a room that is typical (i.e. the room has the same type of wall, wall type, room layout and such) and used numerous times, we can xref those blocks in as an entity and when we change something in the block, all the instances that it is used in the project updates automatically.

Is there a similar function in Revit that can be use?

The issue is that the upcoming project (for example) might have 22 instances of room 'A', 44 instances of room 'B', 34 instances of room 'B', and so on. We would like the capability to change an instance, let's say room 'A' and have all the instances in the project update without us having to go and manually doing it.

I don't think that is a function in Revit (I could be wrong though) The foreseeable problem is that if, let's say the layout of a typical room 'A' changes, we must go to all of the 22 instances and update them. That would be time consuming and would be a negative for using Revit, though (in my opinion) a small complication.

Has anyone had this issue come up and how or if this was solved?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

aaronrumple
2006-08-07, 04:22 PM
Unsure if this has been asked, did a search and haven't found anything...

I understand the use of the group function and family components in Revit. However, we have a project starting up in a month that is for a hospitality project (estimated 700,000 sq.ft.) that we are looking to use Revit for. The Project Manager brought up a concern.

In AutoCAD we can create a separate WBlock for a room that is typical (i.e. the room has the same type of wall, wall type, room layout and such) and used numerous times, we can xref those blocks in as an entity and when we change something in the block, all the instances that it is used in the project updates automatically.

Is there a similar function in Revit that can be use?

The issue is that the upcoming project (for example) might have 22 instances of room 'A', 44 instances of room 'B', 34 instances of room 'B', and so on. We would like the capability to change an instance, let's say room 'A' and have all the instances in the project update without us having to go and manually doing it.

I don't think that is a function in Revit (I could be wrong though) The foreseeable problem is that if, let's say the layout of a typical room 'A' changes, we must go to all of the 22 instances and update them. That would be time consuming and would be a negative for using Revit, though (in my opinion) a small complication.

Has anyone had this issue come up and how or if this was solved?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
This is what the group function is for.

You'll need to search this site for others' experiance with groups. They can be a little tricky to work with.

nnguyen
2006-08-07, 04:55 PM
okay. thanks.

tomnewsom
2006-08-07, 05:13 PM
I'm using groups for room layouts in a student residential building. There are 3 room variants, 4 kitchen variants and 2 bathroom variants. All are handled by groups. The important thing is to avoid the use of walls in groups wherever possible. Where you do have to use them, make sure that any 'stray' wall ends are set to "Disallow Join" as groups don't handle wall joins very well.

Basically, for every relationship that Revit has to work out between a group and its surroundings, the regen time goes up. So keep your groups as independant as possible - no wall-mounted families on walls that aren't part of the group etc.

Ours aren't that complicated, but with 60 rooms, it can take a minute or so to regen them all after editing the group.