PDA

View Full Version : Reference Planes??

shaunamorain
2006-08-07, 09:44 PM
Could someone please point me in the right direction as to where to find info on reference planes? The help section is clear on how to set them, but I'm having some issues with the concept as a whole.

I've almost completely stopped using ref. planes due to strange behavior like this and very little need to see the ref plane in every view all the time, I will typ. just draw a temp detail line, then delete when done.

I do still use ref. planes for structural elements on angles and top of wall attachments, etc.

I guess I'm unclear when to use them and when not to. Is there anyone who agrees/disagrees with only using them for angles & alignments?

Steve_Stafford
2006-08-07, 10:37 PM
See if this blog article (http://revitoped.blogspot.com/2006/03/once-upon-reference-plane.html) helps?

shaunamorain
2006-08-07, 11:02 PM
Thanks, that was a cute farytale & it helped clear out some of the confusion!

So, 2 more:

1) The reference plane is the base & once you chose one to sketch on it becomes the working plane?...or where does this working plane come into play?

2) Do you agree with only using them when absolutly necessary? If not, when do you think they should be used? Are there still issues in revit 9 with these planes?

Thanks!!!
Shauna

Firmso
2006-08-07, 11:20 PM
Thanks, that was a cute farytale & it helped clear out some of the confusion!

So, 2 more:

1) The reference plane is the base & once you chose one to sketch on it becomes the working plane?...or where does this working plane come into play?

2) Do you agree with only using them when absolutly necessary? If not, when do you think they should be used? Are there still issues in revit 9 with these planes?

Thanks!!!
Shauna

1. Once you place a Ref Plane that Reference plane is on play once you lock or align something to it.

2. Yes, only place Ref Planes only when necessary. No need to place them all over.

As far as I know, there isn't any issue with Ref Planes.
Hope this helps

cphubb
2006-08-08, 11:16 PM
I tend to disagree with the statement not to use reference planes all over, but they must be managed.

We use reference planes for many different things. Our standard is if you want the plane to stay Name it.We have noticed the changes to views that make viewing sheets difficult, we often handle that with scope boxes, though even that does not work.

Our use of the planes and understanding of the use stems from people who in AutoCAD used construction lines for everything. We had entire files of construction lines with other lines on top below and all over. It was a real mess and often plotted that way.

When we switched to Revit using the planes made more sense because they do not plot are easy to hide and generally do not impede your workflow. That being said they must be managed or the can grow out of control just as our construction lines did.

We use reference planes for the following items (From our standards)
In order of priority

1. Work planes for off plane objects
2. Layout lines for objects that do not follow grids and are not orthogonal (Aisles in sanctuaries are good examples)
3. Demark lines for setbacks easements ROW etc. (These will show in all views and tell someone that they have crossed the setback etc.
4. As a last resort dimension witness lines where items will not parallel for some unsolvable reason.

Of course we also use them in families extensively and have gotten pretty good at managing the planes and put them to good use.

shaunamorain
2006-08-08, 11:50 PM
Thank you Chris! Thats exactly what I needed- I'm not an architect or a drafter (professionally anyway) so there are some things I need explanations for!

greg.mcdowell
2006-08-09, 01:49 AM
Another way to help manage Reference Plans is with Scope Boxes... and grouping them (and naming them of course) can also help.

shaunamorain
2006-08-09, 02:50 PM
I couldn't really find an explanation for scope boxes (besides on how to create them) either...so I can put the scope box around my model and then save the views I create?

Steve_Stafford
2006-08-09, 02:55 PM
Scope Box Tutorial (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=11935)

dhurtubise
2006-08-09, 07:42 PM
Shaun if you go to AU, you better buy Steve a beer :-) Actually we all should. Up to the challenge sir ?

Scott D Davis
2006-08-09, 07:54 PM
Shaun if you go to AU, you better buy Steve a beer :-) Actually we all should. Up to the challenge sir ?
If we all buy Steve a beer, I think he's gonna be a little bit :screwy: when he's teaching his classes!

Steven Campbell
2006-08-09, 08:16 PM
If we all buy Steve a beer, I think he's gonna be a little bit :screwy: when he's teaching his classes!I thought the beers were free... and isn't he a little :screwy: already...

just kidding ;)...

Scott D Davis
2006-08-09, 08:44 PM
I thought the beers were free... and isn't he a little :screwy: already...

just kidding ;)...
The beers ARE free...(when we are sure to include David Conant in the night's activities :-) )

shaunamorain
2006-08-09, 09:03 PM
Where's AU? I'll buy him a beer! I've heard that a lot of people owe Steve a beer- Steve, is this a favorite passtime?!

Steve_Stafford
2006-08-10, 01:17 AM
Where's AU? I'll buy him a beer! I've heard that a lot of people owe Steve a beer- Steve, is this a favorite passtime?!I won't turn down a Murphy's :smile: Hey we share a birthday!

shaunamorain
2006-08-10, 02:41 PM
Murphy's it is! We do share a b-day!