PDA

View Full Version : complex geometry problem

jani.vahala
2006-08-08, 02:34 PM
is it possible to import a free shape (some blob) from another program and turn it into a wall or roof? I need crazy shapes which go beyond cubes, extrusions and blends.

i tried with a floating cube, but the imported object doesnt explode. it is useless !?

how to do?

thank you. martin

jani.vahala
2006-08-08, 02:50 PM
i am used to surface modelling programs and now my office tells me to do it in revit.

is it possible to import complex solids (as i know that surfaces dont work) for example some blob or 3d shaped (not extruded or blended, but lofted) 'wall' if i may call it so''?

I want to of course change those 'crazy' shapes into materials, walls, roofs.

i tested and some shapes appear, but i can't edit them. am i lost? are the objects just dead?

thanks.

mcloer
2006-08-08, 03:10 PM
Try to bring the solids into an in place massing family. I don't know how complex your shapes are but you should be able to attach walls, roofs and floors to the faces after that.

greg.mcdowell
2006-08-08, 03:11 PM
You can import files from other programs (like Rhino for example) and apply walls, curtain girds, etc. to them. The import itself is not editable and the applied surfaces aren't either (at least not in a way that changes their geometry).

I think the thing to do is to link the file into a mass object and to apply elements onto the mass. Then, if changes need to be made, you would update the original file, reload the link and "remake" the elements.

christo4robin
2006-08-08, 03:40 PM
Martin,

Best way is to create a new massing family in Revit and import your .dxf or .dwg or .skp geometry into that file, then load the massing family into your project file. You can then use the roof by face, etc. commands on your massing family.

jani.vahala
2006-08-10, 12:23 PM
thank you for the answers. i will now try.

martin

jani.vahala
2006-08-10, 12:49 PM
exporting from rhino to revit with dwg or dxf means that the geometry will be triangulated. is that a must?

i don't know whats a .skp file.

does anybody know how to export a complex geometry best from rhino?

greg.mcdowell
2006-08-10, 02:25 PM
an .SAT file would, I think, be the preferred export from Rhino

JamesVan
2006-08-10, 05:18 PM
SAT is correct. See the attached excerpt from my Autodesk University class handout.

jani.vahala
2006-08-11, 08:26 AM
thank you very much for the answer. this manual you sent is very helpful.

jani.vahala
2006-08-11, 09:12 AM
dear experts,

i am still struggeling with importing the .sat file (done in rhino) into the newly created mass in revit. the error message reads:

'Some ACIS objects could not be imported. To import them, use AutoCAD to convert them into polymesh objects and reimport.'

i have already chosen to draw a fairly simple shape in rhino and i have tested all the differnet .sat variations. i am trying to avoid meshes.

does anybody know what could be the problem?

thank you very much for helping.

cliff collins
2006-08-11, 03:55 PM
Jani,

Maybe try modeling the geometry in Revit w/ Mass Tools, or generic models/blends, etc.
It takes a bit of getting used to, but you can achieve some pretty complex forms this way
inside Revit w/out the extra steps of modeling in another app, expoert/import, etc.

I don't know how "funky" the shapes you need are--but see what you can do with Revit.
A while back, I saw the Ronchamp church that Corbusier did modeled in Revit--
pretty "free-form" stuff.....cheers

greg.mcdowell
2006-08-11, 04:18 PM
Bottom line... there's a reason (well, several actually) that Frank Gehry doesn't use Revit... if you take my meaning <grin>