PDA

View Full Version : origin-to-origin import being forced center-to-center

cblackford
2006-08-08, 03:41 PM
I am having the same exact same problem that Tommy described in this post (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=36889). He didn't get any replies when he asked this previously, so I thought I'd give it another shot.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to keep things aligned with a civil dwg when revit keeps trying to force it to Center-to-Center after you specify it to be origin-to-origin?

See attached warning.

Thanks for any help,

Chuck

Steve_Stafford
2006-08-08, 03:46 PM
Once imported into Revit, use Tools menu > Shared Coordinates > Acquire Coordinates. Take a look at the help files regarding Shared Positioning to see it they help a bit? Also there is a post by James Vandezande regarding best practice, I'll see if I can find it again.

cblackford
2006-08-08, 04:00 PM
Thanks Steve. Something told me that you might have some insight on this subject. ;-) I didn't realize that you could aquire coordinates from a DWG. I mistakenly thought it had to be from a linked revit model. So, I guess I'll just go ahead and link it "center-to-center" and then aquire the coordinates from it? Makes sense..I think... I'll give it a shot. Thanks again.

Archman
2006-08-08, 09:08 PM
Sometimes Revit will force a "center to center" import if the origin of the AutoCAD file is very far away from the imported linework. I have overcome this problem in the past by redefining the origin in the AutoCAD file to a logical spot nearer the AutoCAD linework before importing it into Revit.

Steve_Stafford
2006-08-09, 05:54 AM
This LINK (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=44472) is the James Vandezande post I was referring to! Thanks James! I copied the post into Tips & Tricks as a follow up post suggested, just a few months late.

cblackford
2006-08-14, 10:54 PM
Yep! That was the ticket! Thanks James and Steve!

twiceroadsfool
2006-08-14, 11:17 PM
I shouldve checked that out too... We had a file that was kind of messy, and we elected to redo it. I linked in the messy one for Copy/Monitor, and just to use as a guide for the new one... But i somehow ended up with our entire Revit model 108,000 ft off the *origin*, in Revit.

Man, Revit doesnt like that one bit. Our sections all look reaaaaaalllllly goofy. There must be some exponential innacuracy or something, lol...