PDA

View Full Version : Dimension Text Spacing

bd5cents
2006-08-08, 11:57 PM
I am currently working on a project and my boss told me that he would like the spacing on the dimension text to be more compact and together so I was looking to find out if there was a trick in editing the spacing of the actual dimension text. Thanks.

dbaldacchino
2006-08-09, 01:28 AM
Unfortunately there is no "width factor" in dimension text like in regular text or labels in tags. Your only option is to use a font such as Arial Narrow.

bd5cents
2006-08-09, 08:18 PM
Is there any tricks or work arounds to do such a thing or is it completly out of the question to do such a thing?

Scott D Davis
2006-08-09, 08:41 PM
Is there any tricks or work arounds to do such a thing or is it completly out of the question to do such a thing?
Use a narrow version of your font, as Aaron suggested. Thats the only way at this point. Or remind your boss that the "look" of the font in a dimension is not going to keep a project from being built. :-)

archjake
2006-08-09, 09:51 PM
...Or remind your boss that the "look" of the font in a dimension is not going to keep a project from being built. :-)I use comments like this more and more every day. But.. It doesn't stop the boss from having the office standard one of the hand lettering fonts.

david.kingham
2006-08-09, 10:54 PM
I modified the Architext font to have a narrow version and a dimension version that really squeezes it down, you can download it here http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=39830

bd5cents
2006-08-09, 11:52 PM
I modified the Architext font to have a narrow version and a dimension version that really squeezes it down, you can download it here http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=39830

Well Ill give it a shot! thanks for the suggestion and help everyone.

dbaldacchino
2006-08-10, 04:30 AM
<looks around for "Aaron"> :screwy: One way to "fully customize" your dimensions in Revit is through the use of the line-based detail family, by creating one that looks like a dimension. You basically assign a label pointing to the Length parameter and it will act similar to a dimension. That way you can use the width factor available in a label. Then you can also have control of what the start and end of your dimension looks like, but for this "dimension" to update, you have to lock the ref. planes to geometry. Just because you can do this though, doesn't mean you should :)

bd5cents
2006-08-10, 04:37 PM
<looks around for "Aaron"> :screwy: One way to "fully customize" your dimensions in Revit is through the use of the line-based detail family, by creating one that looks like a dimension. You basically assign a label pointing to the Length parameter and it will act similar to a dimension. That way you can use the width factor available in a label. Then you can also have control of what the start and end of your dimension looks like, but for this "dimension" to update, you have to lock the ref. planes to geometry. Just because you can do this though, doesn't mean you should :)

He gave me that edited text but Im not sure if you understand what im saying lol. Im asking if there is a way to change the width of the text to be further away from the exterior dimension lines for instance when you dimension a six inch dimension and another dimension that is really close for instance like a 6 3/4" dimension it over laps the exterior lines. ANyways I have been experimenting and i was wondering if anyone else can give me a hand wit this or if anyone knows of any text style that is smaller!?

Doug
2006-08-11, 02:00 AM
You can use select the dim string and move any one of the dimensions via the blue tag.