PDA

View Full Version : Photo location map

Griff
2006-08-09, 01:45 AM
I'm using several photos for demolition. There will be dozens of photos so I need to be able to have Revit track the placement of the photos. I have looked around but can't find a photo symbol. I did find a section head 1 Point Filled family that looks like what I want. I duplicated it so I wouldn't mess up the original and saved it as a photo symbol..

I plan on placing the photo symbol on the drawing and referencing a drafting view where I have the photo.

I can get the photo symbol to show as long as I don't use the reference view feature. Every time I use the ref view, the symbol looks like a regular section symbol.

What am I missing?

Graham Briggs
2006-08-09, 08:08 AM
Hi Dave,

Unfortunately, Revit does not have an intelligent view-referencing "tag" or "symbol" that is not either a section, call-out, or elevation. I have asked for such a system or annotation family... one can only hope.

In the meantime, one way you can almost get what you're after, is to create an annotation symbol family with "instance" label parameters for the view number and sheet number. This family will be "dumb", that is, you'll have to manually replace the default "?'s" with the appropriate text. And if you change the sheet location of a given view, you'll have to manually update each symbol.

The attached annotation symbol might help you get started. Edit it to place the pointing arrow that you need. Hope it helps.

If what I described above, is what you would like, please contact support and ask for it!!

Graham

Steve_Stafford
2006-08-09, 08:30 AM
I've attached a zipped file to take apart since describing the process is a bit cumbersome. Briefly >

Create new Section Head family.
Create new Section view style via Settings > View Tags > Section Tags.
Create new detail view associated with new Section style
Place sections using the Refer to Other View feature.
Pulled the section line back under the extra graphics added to the symbol.

Maybe you already went this route? Just in case you didn't.

Griff
2006-08-09, 05:10 PM
Steve,

Thanks for the help. I'm having one problem trying to get this photo detail symbol to work. I think the problem I'm having is with your 3rd step (Create new detail view associated with the new Section style). How do I do this step?

While in your drawing I can click on the section button and a section tag shows up. Then to try and get the reference part to work I click on the section button again and then pick the reference other view button and pick the image. Everything works great. But when I do the same thing in my drawing, instead of showing your photo symbol when I click on the reference other view I get a different section symbol. I'm sorry if I seem dense on this, but I'm close just not quite there.

Steve_Stafford
2006-08-09, 05:18 PM
Sections, callouts and elevations use a "style" defined via Settings menu > View Tags > choose the "view type" you want. Once you have defined the "style" you can associate a section or callout or elevation to this style. When you create the drafting view and place an image, edit the properties of the drafting view and assign the "style" you need. This way when you use Refer to Other view it will display the annotation you want. Clear as mud?

Griff
2006-08-09, 05:26 PM
That did it. Thank you so much!