PDA

View Full Version : Revit and AutoCAD UCS

JamesVan
2005-12-17, 04:59 PM
What we've found after discussing the issue at great length with the factory is the following methodology. When you already have some DWG data before beginning in Revit:

Link in the DWG file using "Center-to-Center" option
Use the "Acquire Coordinates" tool and pick the DWG link to align Revit's shared coordinates to the DWG's World coordinates.
Other DWG's can now be linked using "By Shared Coordinates"
Think of how you would translate data in Autocad as compared to Revit. If you had a physical model (CAD data) on a sheet of paper (the coordinate system), in Autocad you would move the model around on the paper; whereas in Revit, you move the paper under the model.

By linking the DWG in first using origin to origin, your levels and standard elevation views will be way out in space.

stian2002
2006-10-23, 11:01 AM
We have had big problems with acquire coordinates after instaling Revit 9.1 It gives us total wrong coordinates. Have anyone else experienced that??? We have contacted out Revit provider, and he sent a message to Autodesk. They answered back and said it was a major error. We got a new build updated today (23 october 2006) and the coorinate thing have not been fixed yet. We have lots of clients that are waiting.....

What can we do? We work mostly with XL-projects

Technical drafter Stian, Norway

tomnewsom
2006-10-23, 11:06 AM
What we've found after discussing the issue at great length with the factory is the following methodology. When you already have some DWG data before beginning in Revit:

Link in the DWG file using "Center-to-Center" option
Use the "Acquire Coordinates" tool and pick the DWG link to align Revit's shared coordinates to the DWG's World coordinates.
Other DWG's can now be linked using "By Shared Coordinates"
Think of how you would translate data in Autocad as compared to Revit. If you had a physical model (CAD data) on a sheet of paper (the coordinate system), in Autocad you would move the model around on the paper; whereas in Revit, you move the paper under the model.

By linking the DWG in first using origin to origin, your levels and standard elevation views will be way out in space.
I daren't use Shared Coordinates. We have a file called ORIGIN.DWG which we link in origin-to-origin so we can get a big fat X at the 0,0 point.

dbaldacchino
2006-10-23, 05:39 PM
I don't have much experience with shared coordinates (I don't fully understand the terminology yet). In our base template, I've marked the origin by first linking a blank dwg with crosshairs at 0,0. This way we know exactly where that lies in the revit file. I understand that when you acquire coordinates you're in effect doing operations similar to when you rotate the UCS of a drawing in Acad, but I haven't seen an example that makes it all clear yet.

crullier
2006-11-06, 05:52 AM
subscribed bc I am also not clear on the that concept