PDA

View Full Version : turning off walls

tect75
2006-08-09, 02:02 PM
i would like to turn off a specific wall type in a basement plan. the wall is used to show some lattice work in elevation and 3d but doesn't really need to show on the basement plan as walls between the deck posts. is there a way to turn off these walls in a view. i guess im looking for something similiar to frieze in viewport from CAD or just a way to freeze the wall type in that drawing (sorry for using the c word but it was the only comparison i could make.....long live revit!)

greg.mcdowell
2006-08-09, 02:05 PM
You might be able to using Filters. You can't turn off the visibility of just one wall type in the standard VG dialog. If you need this level of control you'll need to make the wall a family.. and if it's a trellis wall maybe it's best that it is (thinking about it in 3D and all that).

tect75
2006-08-09, 02:24 PM
thanks greg, worked like a charm. seems like a very circuitous (sp) rout to do something so simple as turning off something you dont want to see. anyway, perhaps a wish list item. at least in my eyes. thanks again.

twiceroadsfool
2006-08-14, 07:48 PM
Im still searching for a way to shut off particular wall types in a view, to no avail.

The project is already modeled, and we have the worksets broken up by building and area (multi building project), and were not going back and breaking it up in to exterior and interior worksets.

The client wants me to send them an exported CAD file, of just the exterior walls... And i cant turn off the interior wall types. Or lat least, i cant figure out how. I cant even Hide and export, because the hide doesnt hold.

I know i would typically ask *why would you want to* when someone came in with an old AutoCAD type request... but sometimes the only answer you need is "because the client asked..."

So for now, im exporting to ACAD and deleting the walls, unless someone has a better way...

aaronrumple
2006-08-14, 08:10 PM
Open your help file and look at "filters" in the index. It will do just what you want.

cganiere
2006-08-14, 10:03 PM
Im still searching for a way to shut off particular wall types in a view, to no avail.

The project is already modeled, and we have the worksets broken up by building and area (multi building project), and were not going back and breaking it up in to exterior and interior worksets.

The client wants me to send them an exported CAD file, of just the exterior walls... And i cant turn off the interior wall types. Or lat least, i cant figure out how. I cant even Hide and export, because the hide doesnt hold.

I know i would typically ask *why would you want to* when someone came in with an old AutoCAD type request... but sometimes the only answer you need is "because the client asked..."

So for now, im exporting to ACAD and deleting the walls, unless someone has a better way...
Have you tried doing a select all (exterior wall types) and copy/pasting to a new project?

Christopher

twiceroadsfool
2006-08-14, 10:52 PM
Open your help file and look at "filters" in the index. It will do just what you want.

Thanks... I went with the AutoCAD approach, becuase i needed it instantly, but now that i played with filters, i can see how that would work.

Im not sure if im the only one who misses it, but my ONLY gripe with Revit (Im a hardcore believer after working with AutoCAD, ADT, Digital Project, Vectorworks, and ArchiCAD) is that i miss the power of the right click from AutoCAD.

While filters work great, id love for there to be a right click > hide this type. Id also pay good money to get my right click = repeat last command, but i think im the only one who liked that whole *hold longer for menu* thing, lol...

cganiere, those are the kind of workarounds im trying not to get in the habit of. When i got this job, the office was new to Revit, and a lot of *workarounds* were being used, and im trying to get a handle on which ones are going to be a PITA later. For today, that wouldve worked fine, as did the ACAD thing. But the ONLY reason i even did that, was because i didnt bother to save the file. Divorcing a live model, for some sort of information, if i want to keep track of it, seems like a nightmare.

Rols
2006-08-15, 12:33 AM
I've been known to create a workset just for stuff I want to turn off. Then I'm not bound by categories. I can take a few walls, a door or two, and perhaps a few windows, and throw them all into a workset and turn the workset off.

Steve_Stafford
2006-08-15, 01:02 AM
In the default export settings the layer Interior walls versus Exterior Walls are assigned are set to I-Wall and A-Wall respectively. Your consultant/client can just freeze the I-Wall layer...or you can delete the layer before you send them.

This trend lately of being asked not to provide all the layers of walls bothers me. We never heard such requests until we started modeling walls more specifically. What happens when someone downstream doesn't know that the walls (dwgs) they got from your consultant weren't complete? Do you get sued?

If we send them complete files and they choose to hide or remove elements that is one thing but to remove them beforehand seems a bit risky. Paranoid...?

sjsl
2006-08-15, 01:48 AM
Actually, REvit kind of has a "repeat" last command, It's the button on the tool bar that let's you continue where you left off (no right click). You click the button and pick whatever object , line text etc and it will continue with that element until you decide to change it.
In some ways it's actually works cleaner no right click once you activate it.

twiceroadsfool
2006-08-15, 01:19 PM
In the default export settings the layer Interior walls versus Exterior Walls are assigned are set to I-Wall and A-Wall respectively. Your consultant/client can just freeze the I-Wall layer...or you can delete the layer before you send them.

This trend lately of being asked not to provide all the layers of walls bothers me. We never heard such requests until we started modeling walls more specifically. What happens when someone downstream doesn't know that the walls (dwgs) they got from your consultant weren't complete? Do you get sued?

If we send them complete files and they choose to hide or remove elements that is one thing but to remove them beforehand seems a bit risky. Paranoid...?

Im with you there, and it makes total sense. So far its been my limited experience that Revit stands to curn alot of behaviors that create liabilities, and i asked the same question when this was asked of me. They said *exterior walls, no interior walls,* and i replied "So you want a roof plan?" But they did not, lol.

Actually, REvit kind of has a "repeat" last command, It's the button on the tool bar that let's you continue where you left off (no right click). You click the button and pick whatever object , line text etc and it will continue with that element until you decide to change it.
In some ways it's actually works cleaner no right click once you activate it.

While i know that works in much the same way, i often exit completely out of a command with the double-tap-esc, and find myself wanting to right click and go at it again, particularly when im trimming. I know its just old hat, and i thought i would out grow it, but the faster i get in Revit, the more i which i still had it, 6 months later.

I've been known to create a workset just for stuff I want to turn off. Then I'm not bound by categories. I can take a few walls, a door or two, and perhaps a few windows, and throw them all into a workset and turn the workset off.

In a way, thats much what im trying to avoid. IMHO, methodology like that works so long as youre the ONLY person in the project, and your memory is impecable about what youve moved between worksets. If i want to hide a set of int walls, and i put them on that workset, and someone else on a roof plan wants to hide something else and wants my walls showing up for some reason (make up a scenerio), now were fighting to control which worksets things are on.

Granted, that problem existed in autoCAD with layers as well, but ill bet with family type / system family type the Factory could make an interesting opportunity out of it.

Just a thought though. :)