PDA

View Full Version : Handrail visibility error

matthewh.104177
2006-08-09, 07:02 PM
I'm having a problem with my handrail visibility. I created a guardrail & handrail for the interior railing and a handrail for the wall railing but the handrail along the wall is not showing up properly in plan. It's showing above the cut line but not below even though the guardrail is drawing properly. As you can see in the 3D image, it's modeled correctly, following the stairs and landing. I checked the visibility settings. I have "show railings above cut line" turned off.

Firmso
2006-08-09, 11:14 PM
I'm having a problem with my handrail visibility. I created a guardrail & handrail for the interior railing and a handrail for the wall railing but the handrail along the wall is not showing up properly in plan. It's showing above the cut line but not below even though the guardrail is drawing properly. As you can see in the 3D image, it's modeled correctly, following the stairs and landing. I checked the visibility settings. I have "show railings above cut line" turned off.

Looks like your View Range is not set properly.

matthewh.104177
2006-08-10, 01:00 PM
Sorry, the plan view might be a little confusing. This is the lowest level of the stair, in an underground parking garage, so there is a gyp board wall underneath the stair to block off underneath that lowest landing and then a guardrail to its right to meet minimum headroom requirements for ADA. So these show up below the dotted part of the stair that's above the cut range. The view range is correct with the bottom at 0, depth at -1', cut at 4', and the top at 7'-6".

The problem is with the handrail along the wall; it shows above the cut line but not below as it should. At the other levels now, too, the guardrail is not displaying correctly with parts of it showing above but not below the cut line. In the attached image the guardrail in the middle of the stair should wrap completely around. Even more bizarre, if you look closely, is that a handrail bracket that I put in as a baluster family is showing up below the cut line while the rest of the railing it belongs to is not! Not to mention all the goofy extra lines and artifacts that display with the railings, especially at their joins.

Some more info on my stair: It's 5 stories including one going down to a garage. The floor to floor heights are 13-4, except for the lowest one to the garage which is 11'. So actually it's a multi story stair from level 1-4, and another one for the lower level. The railings are split up into various segments to get the baluster and post spacing correct.

Is it just me or are railings buggy in terms of visibility in plan? I think I'm just going to have to draw 2d lines, attach them to the handrail and turn their visibility off.

shaunamorain
2006-08-10, 05:58 PM
I've had similar problems where certain parts mysteriously acquire missing areas as well. It has not happened to me in some time- but I never quite figured it out when it did occur. Even spent hours adjusting the view :evil: !

Anyone else encounter this mishap?

hart
2007-12-06, 09:40 PM
I have seen a couple of posts about the wall handrail not showing correctly when in a floor plan view as described in this older post. In my case it shows on the wrong side of the cut line. That typically seems to be the case in some of the other posts.

I would like to know if there has ever been any resolution to this problem. In the images below you can see the wall handrail in plan is on the wrong side of the cut line but it is located and viewed correctly in elevation.

hart
2007-12-07, 09:19 PM
We have just resolved our issue with the handrail visibilty showing up on the wrong side of the cutline in plan view.

Edit the handrail and mirror the sketch lines about the stair. If necessary reposition handrail per upper and lower tread. Finish sketch.

We think it had something to do with how the sketch was started. If you began sketching from top to bottom of stair or from bottom to top. I haven't proven if thats the case or not but at least I don't have to draw any lines in to show the handrail.

pdickman
2007-12-12, 07:25 PM
Genius!!! The mirroring worked. Thanks so much for posting, I had the exact same problem.