PDA

View Full Version : Splines! Why so problematic?

jhalaby
2006-08-09, 07:18 PM
Am I doing something wrong, or is it impossible to trim/extend to splines? I can't even snap to intersections between splines and other lines. I am working with drafting lines and splines, and discovering that they don't like eachother.
Any suggestions?
Thanks.

aaronrumple
2006-08-09, 08:25 PM
Am I doing something wrong, or is it impossible to trim/extend to splines? I can't even snap to intersections between splines and other lines. I am working with drafting lines and splines, and discovering that they don't like eachother.
Any suggestions?
Thanks.
Even AutoCAD won't extend a spline.

jhalaby
2006-08-09, 08:43 PM
Aaron, I am only trying to extend/trim a straight line to a spline, or snap to an intersection between a straight line and a spline. AutoCAD can do this, why can't we do it with drafting lines in Revit?

jeff.95551
2006-08-09, 09:52 PM
This is one of the few real weaknesses of Revit. Any complex linework like this we do in Autocad and bring it back into Revit. It's not worth the time and frustration in Revit. If you need to use that linework for something more complex, like an in-place family, you will have problems as well. For things like a custom kidney-shaped countertop, the lines in the floor plan will be an in-place family that roughly resembles the design, and the dimensioned for-construction plans are Autocad drawings brought into drafting views. I for one would like to see more robust linework and modeling tools in Revit.

funkman
2006-08-09, 10:53 PM
Yes can be done, but not using the trim tool. Select the spline, then tab on the end control of the spline and you can drag this last control point to any other location, and the other control points remain stationary when you move this last one. You can add more control points as well if you need. Careful you tab on the last control point otherwise when you move the last control point you will also move all the other control points along the spline. Hope that helps.

Firmso
2006-08-09, 11:25 PM
Yes can be done, but not using the trim tool. Select the spline, then tab on the end control of the spline and you can drag this last control point to any other location, and the other control points remain stationary when you move this last one. You can add more control points as well if you need. Careful you tab on the last control point otherwise when you move the last control point you will also move all the other control points along the spline. Hope that helps.
Ahhhh, Splines.... and it seems least of items to worry about in Revit.....
It's nice to have, but try not to use it whenever possible....
I would say.

sbrown
2006-08-10, 04:52 AM
I use the tangent arc tool instead of splines, much better control for dimensioning and constructability.