PDA

View Full Version : Barrel Vault Roof System

masonjur
2006-08-09, 08:10 PM
I am working on a remodeling project. The building has a barrel vault roof and barrel vault trusses. I created the roof by bringing in the barrel vault mass and attaching a roof to it. I am having trouble with the BARREL VAULT TRUSS. Does anyone have one that they can share, point me to on the net, or able to describe how to create one? I have tried to solve this problem for a few hours now and am getting frustrated. Also, I need to run a block wall up to and follow the curve in the barrel vault. When I try to attach, I get a dimension and wall join error. Is their a different way to attach them?

sbrown
2006-08-10, 04:21 AM
why does it have to attach to anything? I would just make it the exact size and shape I want it since your not likely to need multiple sizes.

greg.mcdowell
2006-08-10, 04:30 AM
So then the approach would be to modify the Wall Profile to match the curve of the Barrel Vault and to Join the two together to clean-up the geometry.

masonjur
2006-08-10, 02:00 PM
Modifing the wall profile does do the trick. Thanks for the suggestion. Now does anyone have any ideas about the TRUSS?

greg.mcdowell
2006-08-10, 02:03 PM
a family of some sort... in-place or otherwise... if the vault is static (meaning it doesn't change diameter along its length) then a standard family is your best bet

masonjur
2006-08-10, 03:03 PM
If I use a standard family, how do I get the top of the truss to follow the curve?

sbrown
2006-08-10, 03:39 PM
You draw it with a curved top chord. Create a new structural framing family, then in elevation make the extrusion the shape you want the truss. If you need it flexible you will have to make some dimensional parameters but if not just draw what you want it to look like, set the thickness in plan(stretch the extrusion or under its properties set the two offsets, then load into your model, place in plan, then move it up in section.

aggockel50321
2006-08-10, 03:56 PM
Here's a bowstring truss family I found a few years ago.

For some reason I cannot save it out as a family.

You can open the project & cut and paste the truss into yours.

masonjur
2006-08-10, 03:59 PM
Thank-you andrewg. It is exactly what I was looking for.