PDA

View Full Version : Placing AutoCAD sheets onto Revit titleblocks

patricks
2006-08-09, 09:17 PM
I have an AutoCAD file from a consultant which has several sheet layout tabs across the bottom of the screen, with different plan view information on each sheet, and then a separate file with various details on various sheet layouts.

Is there a way to take each sheet layout view, including the consultant title block, and create a separate AutoCAD file so that I can place that sheet onto one of our titleblocks in Revit?

Or alternatively, is there a way to place AutoCAD sheet layouts directly onto a Revit title block?

patricks
2006-08-10, 01:51 PM
surely there is a way....

greg.mcdowell
2006-08-10, 02:06 PM
I think you can eTransmit the layout tabs to separate files in AutoCAD (I'm trying my best to forget all that I know in AutoCAD) but Revit only pulls in what is in Model space... sort of like Xreffing.

patricks
2006-08-10, 02:50 PM
surely there is a way to "export" what is on a sheet tab to a separate AutoCAD file, so that the title block and everything is in model space. Then I could place that on a Revit sheet.

patagoniadave
2006-08-10, 03:00 PM
surely there is a way to "export" what is on a sheet tab to a separate AutoCAD file, so that the title block and everything is in model space. Then I could place that on a Revit sheet.

If you just want the info I guess you could plot to pdf and bring that into Revit. Can you insert a .dwf into Revit?

patricks
2006-08-10, 03:27 PM
There is a menu option for "Link DWF markup set" but I don't know if that would let me place individual sheet layouts from the AutoCAD file.

patagoniadave
2006-08-10, 03:39 PM
There is a menu option for "Link DWF markup set" but I don't know if that would let me place individual sheet layouts from the AutoCAD file.

I've never played with .dwf, but I saw a quick demo on it yesterday. If acad exports dwf's the same way revit does, then I think you can either have a bunch of individual files, or one file with all the layouts inside it. The ones generated by Revit have a surprising level of interaction built in, including live links to jump from a tag to the sheet it references.

Revitator
2006-08-10, 03:46 PM
Well, I don't think I remember a one-step "export from paperspace" tool in AutoCAD, so I'll suggest a couple of workarounds:

MicroStation can open DWGs and save out the paperspace layouts directly as DWG models. This is the most direct route, but relies on you having MicroStation. You could download an academic copy of PowerDraft from Bentley, but that's for non-commercial use.

Copy and Paste the paperspace elements into modelspace; then activate the viewport(s) in paperspace and Copy and Paste their contents out into modelspace. A pain if you have many viewports.

Last resort - print the AutoCAD as tiffs (you don't need to scale off these drawings, right? This is just for printing from Revit)

patricks
2006-08-10, 08:58 PM
I'm sure I'll end up having to use some sort of image workaround. Would be nice if we could place PDF's directly into Revit. Would TIFF give me the best image quality vs. file size?

And yes I would like for the drawings to be to scale when they are on our title blocks.

shaunamorain
2006-08-10, 10:40 PM
I have an AutoCAD file from a consultant which has several sheet layout tabs across the bottom of the screen, with different plan view information on each sheet, and then a separate file with various details on various sheet layouts.

Is there a way to take each sheet layout view, including the consultant title block, and create a separate AutoCAD file so that I can place that sheet onto one of our titleblocks in Revit?

Or alternatively, is there a way to place AutoCAD sheet layouts directly onto a Revit title block?

Am I missing something? I just save each drawing separately & import them...if there are a lot of details I cut and paste from AutoCAD onto the Revit sheet.

Danny Polkinhorn
2006-08-10, 11:15 PM
There's an Express Tool called ChangeSpace which will move elements from Paperspace to Modelspace with scaling corrected and vice-versa. You might try that.

Hope that helps,

Wes Macaulay
2006-08-11, 12:18 AM
I would take the modelspace data, erase what isn't needed, and pull it into a drafting view. Plop the drafting view onto a sheet and voila.

It would be great if you could import a DWF plotted from AutoCAD but Revit doesn't allow that unless the DWF was created in Revit in the first place...

CADMama
2006-09-08, 06:07 PM
OK - I must be really missing something.

I am attaching a dwg file that I would like to have in Revit - title block and all. I need to see the floor plan that is in modelspace and the titleblock that is in paperspace.
All I get when I import is the titleblock.

HELP!

Justin Marchiel
2006-09-08, 08:15 PM
the only way i know to put paper pace to model space is create a block with a reference point on the model space item, then switch to model space, reinsert and scale.

I dont know an express tool that will do this. maybe someone has written a lisp program, but you would have to search the web for it.

Justin

CADMama
2006-09-11, 01:17 AM
SO - if you have to import an AutoCAD drawing into a Revit project - let's say a civil engineer's drawing - and it has the civil engineer's title block on it and the civil drawing is in modelspace and the titleblock is in paperspace - Just HOW do you bring that in?
Do you have to use this elusive LISP routine in ACAD to do it and then bring it in? If they have several modelspace views in the paperspace then it could be a little difficult.
Come on - I can't be the first to need this,
Donnia

Brian Myers
2006-09-11, 03:25 AM
Its not an elusive LISP routine... its actually now been included in AutoCAD as a new command. Here is an article by Lynn Allen:

http://lynn.blogs.com/lynn_allens_blog/2006/05/changing_spaces.html

blads
2006-09-11, 05:10 AM
Most of our surveyors are stupid over here and do EVERYTHING in modelspace, in layers numbered 0-1000 or so :banghead:

so after working out what extraneous stuff you don't want its pretty simple to bring in a drawing. Thank goodness I don't have to work with autocad files all the time...

SO - if you have to import an AutoCAD drawing into a Revit project - let's say a civil engineer's drawing - and it has the civil engineer's title block on it and the civil drawing is in modelspace and the titleblock is in paperspace - Just HOW do you bring that in?
Do you have to use this elusive LISP routine in ACAD to do it and then bring it in? If they have several modelspace views in the paperspace then it could be a little difficult.
Come on - I can't be the first to need this,
Donnia

CADMama
2006-09-11, 06:05 PM
Its not an elusive LISP routine... its actually now been included in AutoCAD as a new command. Here is an article by Lynn Allen:

http://lynn.blogs.com/lynn_allens_blog/2006/05/changing_spaces.html
OH - I know about chspace. It does not work well if you have different viewports on the sheet that are different zoom scales though. How do you handle that?
How about if the different viewports are from different places in the modelspace?

CADMama
2006-09-11, 06:06 PM
Most of our surveyors are stupid over here and do EVERYTHING in modelspace, in layers numbered 0-1000 or so :banghead:

so after working out what extraneous stuff you don't want its pretty simple to bring in a drawing. Thank goodness I don't have to work with autocad files all the time...
OH - well I see that a lot also. My problem is that there are several viewports and with different zoom factors in them.