PDA

View Full Version : Sections matching elevations

patagoniadave
2006-08-10, 12:49 PM
This is similar to my question about floor material takeoffs (and by the way is another early morning totally unresearch random thought question).

I was having Revit dreams last night, and in my dreams I had a normal wood framed multistorey house, the elevations showed the band of the floor system running around it, and my boss was yelling at me. So while drinking coffee this morning, I was wondering what the best way is to deal with that. Do I make a mini-skini wall veneer on the outside of the building that goes up all the floors and covers the joint, do I make the exterior first floor wall go all the way up, cut the floor and just draw in the detailing in section, or is there an easier method that I am overlooking. As always, thanks for the feedback.

brd
2006-08-10, 03:07 PM
Is the edge of your floor slab is lined up to the exterior face of the walls instead of the interior face of the walls? Joining the geometry of the walls and floor slab might take the lines away. There's always the lineweight tool also, you can make the lines invisible. Or you could just line up the edge of the floor slab to the inside face of the wall instead of the outside face (I think that's what you were referring to with that last option you mentioned). Even though the floor slab does literally sit on top of the wall, this is one of those situations where it's probably just easier and simpler to NOT model it exactly how it's built, as you can still easily detail it in section either way.

patagoniadave
2006-08-10, 03:19 PM
Is the edge of your floor slab is lined up to the exterior face of the walls instead of the interior face of the walls? Joining the geometry of the walls and floor slab might take the lines away. There's always the lineweight tool also, you can make the lines invisible. Or you could just line up the edge of the floor slab to the inside face of the wall instead of the outside face (I think that's what you were referring to with that last option you mentioned). Even though the floor slab does literally sit on top of the wall, this is one of those situations where it's probably just easier and simpler to NOT model it exactly how it's built, as you can still easily detail it in section either way.

Now that I have had some coffee and thought about it, if I align the floor sketch lines with the face of the wall core instead of the face of the wall, I think I can tell the floor to cut a chunk from the wall, and all will look accurate and be modeled properly. If not, I can still use the linework/weight tools. (sigh) Wish I didn't have a massive set of redlines from an acad job so I could go play with Revit. Thanks for the feedback.

patricks
2006-08-10, 03:30 PM
Now that I have had some coffee and thought about it, if I align the floor sketch lines with the face of the wall core instead of the face of the wall, I think I can tell the floor to cut a chunk from the wall, and all will look accurate and be modeled properly. If not, I can still use the linework/weight tools. (sigh) Wish I didn't have a massive set of redlines from an acad job so I could go play with Revit. Thanks for the feedback.

That's the correct way to do it, because that's the way it would be built. Your second floor rim board (or the ends of the joists) is going to line up with the outside face of the studs below. In almost all cases I think you would want the floor sketch lines to be on the core faces of the walls.

Another method would be to have separate walls for first and second floor. Have the first floor walls go up to the bottom of the second floor framing. Then draw your second floor walls on top of the framing, unlock the outside sheathing and finish layers and then extend them down around the outside of the floor framing, and then join geometry would make the walls appear continuous on your exterior elevations.

patagoniadave
2006-08-10, 03:34 PM
That's the correct way to do it, because that's the way it would be built. Your second floor rim board (or the ends of the joists) is going to line up with the outside face of the studs below. In almost all cases I think you would want the floor sketch lines to be on the core faces of the walls.

Ya, what threw me off was that I was doing a quick play around with model and was using generic walls (no core). After I thought about it a bit, I realized how silly my question was, but that's ok maybe some other nubee will run into the same mental block. Thanks