PDA

View Full Version : how to save revit9 file so revit8.1 users can access it

browncat
2006-08-10, 08:43 PM
how to save revit9 file so revit8.1 users can access it...

can anybody help me with this...thanks in advance

felixt

BillyGrey
2006-08-10, 08:56 PM
I do not think this is possible, but I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.
As far as I know, there is no "Save As 2004", etc., like there is in Autocad.

Best wishes,

Bill

Scott D Davis
2006-08-10, 09:14 PM
Revit cannot save backwards. Have the 8.1 user upgrade to 9.0.

Firmso
2006-08-11, 06:40 AM
how to save revit9 file so revit8.1 users can access it...

can anybody help me with this...thanks in advance

felixt
Right now the only way to share work done on revit is thru the Export/Link under File.
You have to export it to Acad then do a save-down.

browncat
2006-08-24, 06:01 PM
hey guys thanks for the big help...i know i replied much later. Again thanks!

ron.sanpedro
2006-08-24, 06:33 PM
Revit cannot save backwards. Have the 8.1 user upgrade to 9.0.

So I wonder how many times this has to be asked before The Factory realizes that having EVERYONE on the planet upgrade to the new version at the same time is pure fantasy. Even having everyone on Subscription and able to upgrade is a bad assumption.
The Factory NEEDS to add Save As to older versions. At a bare minimum to the last version. And point versions should NOT change file type. I really should be able to open a 9.1 file in 9.0.
The mayhem, that is going to come when we upgrade to 9.1 and our Structural Engineer doesn't upgrade for a month is going to be pretty problematic. As it is, is there even a guarantee that the 9.1 based Revit Structure ships the same days as 9.1 Revit Building? If not, how is an office with 20 projects and 15 consultants, who themselves are dealing with 50 more architects, supposed to all work together? It is an intimidating prospect that isn't a big deal now, when we have two pilot projects and only one consultant on one project is using a Revit based tool, but if we are going to see full scale adoption across the industry, then Save back is a must I think.

Gordon

Simon.Whitbread
2006-08-24, 07:33 PM
As it is, is there even a guarantee that the 9.1 based Revit Structure ships the same days as 9.1 Revit Building? If not, how is an office with 20 projects and 15 consultants, who themselves are dealing with 50 more architects, supposed to all work together? It is an intimidating prospect that isn't a big deal now, when we have two pilot projects and only one consultant on one project is using a Revit based tool, but if we are going to see full scale adoption across the industry, then Save back is a must I think.
Gordon,

There is not much difference here than when using Autocad. At the start of a project, the design team (Architects, client, engineers, surveyors etc) get together and mutually agree the file format for data transfer for the life of the project - unless agreement is made at a later date to change.
I.e: Project X will be Autocad release 2007
Project Y will be Revit release 9.0

The main point however is translation - how do you save a new object to an older version when some of those features didn't exist previously? It was quite easy with Autocad lines>lines, but with a very complex database...?

Two versions of the software on the computer? Space is cheap, user can handle both, especially when informed of project procedures.

I'd rather the factory spent its time either developing, maturing and ironing out bugs in the product than introducing this feature.

Cheers

Simon

neb1998
2006-08-24, 08:02 PM
So I wonder how many times this has to be asked before The Factory realizes that having EVERYONE on the planet upgrade to the new version at the same time is pure fantasy. Even having everyone on Subscription and able to upgrade is a bad assumption.
The Factory NEEDS to add Save As to older versions. At a bare minimum to the last version. And point versions should NOT change file type. I really should be able to open a 9.1 file in 9.0.
The mayhem, that is going to come when we upgrade to 9.1 and our Structural Engineer doesn't upgrade for a month is going to be pretty problematic. As it is, is there even a guarantee that the 9.1 based Revit Structure ships the same days as 9.1 Revit Building? If not, how is an office with 20 projects and 15 consultants, who themselves are dealing with 50 more architects, supposed to all work together? It is an intimidating prospect that isn't a big deal now, when we have two pilot projects and only one consultant on one project is using a Revit based tool, but if we are going to see full scale adoption across the industry, then Save back is a must I think.

Gordon
Very easy way to fix this, do not upgrade files that are currently being worked on by other firms with older versions until everyone is using the same file.

Everyone should have the latest version though.......No reason a firm should still be using 8.1 this long after the upgrade to 9.