PDA

View Full Version : Sloped roof with a flat fascia

jeff.95551
2006-08-11, 05:23 AM
I'm probably missing something simple, but I've got a large flat roof sloped at 1/4" per foot away from the main building mass. The side parallel to where it comes off of the building is horizontal, and the fascia works fine, but the sides slope up and the fascia wants to slope up with it. I want the fascias all to wrap level and aligned, but I can't figure out how to accomplish this. Any ideas?

Firmso
2006-08-11, 06:05 AM
I'm probably missing something simple, but I've got a large flat roof sloped at 1/4" per foot away from the main building mass. The side parallel to where it comes off of the building is horizontal, and the fascia works fine, but the sides slope up and the fascia wants to slope up with it. I want the fascias all to wrap level and aligned, but I can't figure out how to accomplish this. Any ideas?
Trying to picture this. Almost getting it but can't quite put it together.
Can you post a image.
Thanks

Tobie
2006-08-11, 07:01 AM
Is this what you want?
In place family with solid and void.

jeff.95551
2006-08-11, 04:11 PM
Sorry - I should have posted an image before. I've exaggerated the slope for effect. The red lines are what I want. An in-place family is probably what I want - I'll give that a try.

sbrown
2006-08-11, 04:34 PM
Yes you will need to do an inplace family for this.

ron.sanpedro
2006-08-11, 06:24 PM
Yes you will need to do an inplace family for this.

Could you also create a "fascia" wall family and float it around the roof? I am finding that in place families for things that get changed a lot in design are problematic. But that workaround does cause problems for scheduling and material takeoffs.

Best,
Gordon

Tobie
2006-08-13, 11:16 PM
If you create an in-place family this way you can change the roof slope and the fascia will remain correct.
1.Create in-place family
2.Solid form - Sweep
3. Sketch 2D path
4. Use line and pick + lock to top of slope edge of roof (set workplane to roof level)
5. Draw the remaining 2 lines in plan
6. Sketch profile or use loaded profile.
7. Finish
Now you can change the slope as shown without the family giving you an error message.