PDA

View Full Version : Changing surface pattern moves lights??

patricks
2006-08-14, 09:28 PM
I have an EIFS soffit which has the surface pattern set to Sand - Dense (drafting), and several instances of recessed light fixtures. For some reason when I change the pattern to my Sand - Dense (model) pattern, it shifts the lights all over the place, and some of them end up outside of the soffit, not cutting anything, and so I have to delete them and place them again. Is there any setting that would make it NOT do this?

greg.mcdowell
2006-08-14, 11:28 PM
Try turning off "move with objects" in the lights properties... or pin them... or dimension and lock them...

aaronrumple
2006-08-15, 01:50 PM
I have an EIFS soffit which has the surface pattern set to Sand - Dense (drafting), and several instances of recessed light fixtures. For some reason when I change the pattern to my Sand - Dense (model) pattern, it shifts the lights all over the place, and some of them end up outside of the soffit, not cutting anything, and so I have to delete them and place them again. Is there any setting that would make it NOT do this?
This is by design. When you are using a pattern representing a grid, the lights will move with the grid pattern. Another trick other than constraining with dimensions and pinning, is to select all the fixtures, cut them to the clipboard. Make your changes to the ceiling - then paste the fixtures back in.

patricks
2006-08-15, 05:55 PM
ah I see... I was actually just changing the surface pattern of my EIFS material, which applies to both walls and the soffit, and I always get that message after changing it.

I've had to change it back and forth between drafting and model Sand patterns because in a perspective 3D view, my walls look black if they have the Drafting pattern on there, but when I export to AutoCAD the files are HUGE if I have it set to a Model sand pattern.

Andre Baros
2006-12-14, 09:41 PM
This is a feature which really needs an on/off button. Some lights are oriented to the grid, others not. We've come to a stand still editing some ceilings because it takes so long to select all of the various lights in it each time you want to edit it. And any action which touches it can cause the lights to jump out and be deleted.