PDA

View Full Version : Exposed Structure?

ron.sanpedro
2006-08-14, 10:04 PM
So, what are people doing to address the issue of exposed structural items? For example, we have exposed cantilevered glulam beams in a project, and the ends will be tapered. So far as I can tell I can't shape a true structural beam this way. But we will be working with a Structural Engineer using Revit Structure, so having all the structural beams and columns be Revit structural items rather than generic model items seems to make coordination easier. We are moving into DD and this is going to become a major issue soon, as we will need to document the exact shape of those beam ends, while also coordinating with the Engineers over the exact dimensions and such. I would like to understand the best practice approach before it actually comes time to do the work.

A second related question is one for the Factory. What is the rational behind having structural items in Revit Building behave the way a engineer would expect, rather than the way an architect would expect? Is this a hold over from the days when there was just Revit, and it had to work for both architects and engineers? And is this something that is on the aggenda to be addressed? I would love to see a glulam that can be tapered, and joined with structural plates (in slots cut in the gluelam no less!), and shows up as a simple solid in Course, with connection plates in Medium, and with lamination lines and bolts in fine. No "diagramatic" view at all (ok, maybe an option, like Course, Medium, Fine and Diagramatic). But it is Structural, as is the connection, and a Revit Structures user can Copy/Monitor, do analysis, etc. Any joy?

Crossed fingers.
Gordon

Tobie
2006-08-14, 11:16 PM
Had this project a couple of years ago and I used the in-place family to create the structural barrup truss. I also did all the steel columns and steel lintels as structural. I had some 3D views with discipline set to structural and it only showed what is in image 1. Image 2 shows everything. Using the structural columns means that they showed up inside timber framed walls as opposed to becoming part of the wall.
Something I have not tried is making a structural component with all the parameters you mentioned to load into your project.

cphubb
2006-08-14, 11:20 PM
Gordon,

Since we have yet to have the honor of a structural using RS we just model the beams as required and assign them to the structural type. It is possible to make a custom structural family and still have some calculation available, but I think it needs to be done from inside RS not Revit. You should talk to the engineers about making the custom beam and see what they say.

As far as the lack of tools inside RB for structural the official word I heard was that the developers are focusing on new features not moving existing features between products and the structural tools were necessary for RS but were never added to RB. There have been many wishes here for those tools epically the cope tool and the beam column proper joint tool. I hope those will be coming soon.

ron.sanpedro
2006-08-14, 11:33 PM
Gordon,

Since we have yet to have the honor of a structural using RS we just model the beams as required and assign them to the structural type. It is possible to make a custom structural family and still have some calculation available, but I think it needs to be done from inside RS not Revit. You should talk to the engineers about making the custom beam and see what they say.

As far as the lack of tools inside RB for structural the official word I heard was that the developers are focusing on new features not moving existing features between products and the structural tools were necessary for RS but were never added to RB. There have been many wishes here for those tools epically the cope tool and the beam column proper joint tool. I hope those will be coming soon.

Funny, it sounds like they want to spend lots of money on totally "new" tools, rather than just add tools they already have working code for, and which we would happily pay for. Seems a little nutty to me ;) It does sound like I need to get my head into families in a big way.

Thanks,
Gordon