PDA

View Full Version : Raster Image in a 3-d view?

jrocc858
2006-08-15, 06:22 PM
I would like to use an aerial photograph as a background for a 3-d view to give it some context but have found no way of achieving this. Is capturing the 3-d view and and trying to distort the image behind it in Photoshop the only solution?

cphubb
2006-08-15, 06:27 PM
You can only use a background in a rendered view and it will only show when you render

sbrown
2006-08-15, 07:41 PM
you could print your 3d view to pdf, then in adobe add the image, save and import the final jpg into a drafting view.

Davied2
2006-08-16, 12:13 PM
Hi There

I have had to use a Google Earth JPG and place it on a large floor with my building on top so that when i did an elevated camera view render you could see the image in the background.

Is this what you are trying to achieve ?

Dave

bowlingbrad
2006-08-16, 01:02 PM
We would love to have this ability. The only thing we use jpgs for is backgrounds.

We use skies behind shaded views for very simple 'colored' 3d views.

1. Place sky jpg on sheet.
2. Place shaded view on sheet (over sky).

Haven't tested this with jpgs ON views (entourage with transparency). Has anyone tried this?

bowlingbrad
2006-08-16, 01:04 PM
Here's my thread on this topic (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=27574)

jrocc858
2006-08-16, 04:52 PM
I think background wasn't the correct term to use. Davied2 has the gist of what I am trying to achieve. I want to place an aerial photo at the ground plane of the buildings to give the model some quick site context.

I tried using the Decal command to place the image on an in place family at the ground plane but havent had much luck so far.

Edit: Bowlingbrad, that is exacly they type of thing I am after. I can achieve it by going to another program such as Viz/Max or FormZ but was hoping to be able to stay in Revit.

truevis
2006-08-16, 10:43 PM
We use skies behind shaded views for very simple 'colored' 3d views.

1. Place sky jpg on sheet.
2. Place shaded view on sheet (over sky)....
Excellent tip. THX!