PDA

View Full Version : Voids to cut Generic Model families

dbaldacchino
2006-08-18, 06:34 PM
Can you create an in-place void to cut a generic model? I have a line based generic model that I'm using to show color/material banding in a hallway. I tried creating an in place generic model and created a void. Then I tried using the Cut Geometry tool, but line based the generic model cannot be selected, unlike moat of the other model elements. Am I doing something wrong or is this just not possible? Thanks.

Scott D Davis
2006-08-18, 08:23 PM
You cannot cut a family with an in-place void. The void must be part of the familly itself. You can set up parameters within the family to push/pull the void so that it either cuts or doesn't cut the family by changing dimensions of the void. for instance, at a Width of 10', the void intersects the object and thus cuts it. At a width of 5', the void falls short of the object, and therefore does not cut it.

dbaldacchino
2006-08-18, 08:33 PM
Got it. It would be nice if G.M. families could be cut by in place voids. In my case I'm using the line bases G.M. as paint & Wainscot banding (P-Lam or ceramic tile and paint) and we're cutting them at certain angles in some areas. Now granted I can just draw this as linework in elevation views, but we're trying to take advantage of material tagging and once we choose the materials and assign them to the different bands in the G.M., all drawings will be coordinated as the material tag will pick the right material type designation. Again, thanks for your help :)

dbaldacchino
2006-08-18, 08:42 PM
Here's an example of the banding I'm talking about and the area I was wanting to cut. I'll go ahead and build a custom family for this instance or add a parameteric void.