PDA

View Full Version : Rotating to true north - rotation direction seems reversed

jwilhelm
2006-08-18, 10:42 PM
I notice that when typing in a rotation direction in "rotate true north" that for example if I type in 10 degrees east it seems to rotate 10 degrees west of north, this appears to be backward, can anyone confirm this ?

sbrown
2006-08-19, 02:31 AM
Yes its backwards, even if you do it graphically it will rotate the opposite way. Its the same with crop regions. I have no idea why these things behave this way, its just allways been and you get used to it.

patricks
2006-08-19, 08:49 PM
When you rotate true north, you're telling Revit how far off of Project North (upwards 90 deg. direction from horizontal) that True North is. So what happens is say you have Project North as up, and True North is also up in your site plan view, but in reality it's 20 degrees to the left of straight up. So you have your site plan set to True North, then you rotate the project 20 deg. to the left of straight up. Now what happens is, since you have the view set to True North, it takes that 20 degrees and moves it back to pointing straight up, and then shows the building as rotated 20 degrees. Since you rotated True North 20 degrees to the left, it's going to move everything back 20 degrees to the right to show True North as straight up in the view.

That's the best way I can explain it, I think, but that's why it moves in the opposite direction of what you tell it. That is actually the correct way, because you're not really rotating the project, you're rotating true north relative to the building.

If you wanted your building to be situated 20 degrees to the left, that means True North would actually be to the right of the building, and so you would have to rotate True North 20 degrees to the right.

sbrown
2006-08-20, 06:39 PM
so why when you just rotate a crop region does it go the opposite way?

dbaldacchino
2006-08-20, 10:26 PM
Just to **** you off I guess :) I noticed that and it's quite irritating. I believe Patrick's explanation re: True North is correct though, as it never jumped out at me as being "opposite", but the crop region rotation does.

aaronrumple
2006-08-20, 10:34 PM
The whole plan north/true north needs to be replaced with a plan notth/north arrow symbol we can just point.

Roger Evans
2006-08-20, 11:34 PM
The whole plan north/true north needs to be replaced with a plan north/north arrow symbol we can just point.

How many years is it now ????

patricks
2006-08-21, 02:34 AM
The whole plan north/true north needs to be replaced with a plan notth/north arrow symbol we can just point.

I don't have any probelms with the current setup. Maybe just me tho ;)

jwilhelm
2006-08-21, 04:15 AM
I think maybe it would be helpful for the factory to hire some programmers that have worked in the Mac environment, thought a little more graphically the obvious solution to this would be a true north/arrow that "shows" you where true north is pointing, maybe its just me but this is a "visual" art