PDA

View Full Version : Learning The API

dgriessmann.86073
2006-08-21, 12:52 PM
What resources are out there to learn the API?

dgriessmann.86073
2006-08-21, 04:57 PM
So know one know anything about API resources?

Danny Polkinhorn
2006-08-21, 11:26 PM
Sorry, you only gave us 4 hours to reply and some of us are in a different time zone. ;)

If you're on subscription, you have access to last year's AU content. I presented a "Basics of the Revit API" class where you can get started and you should find the handouts, the presentation, and source code for the examples given. I'll be presenting a similar course again at AU this year if you want to wait.

Beyond that, there aren't many resources. The RevitAPI.chm help file in the Program directory will give you some help, but it doesn't have example code.

Writing code is more than just learning the API, so if you don't know .NET, I would suggest starting by learning that. Without some knowledge of .NET, the API really doesn't do you much good.

Hope that helps,

dhurtubise
2006-09-07, 03:49 PM
Quicky gor you Danny. Any good related books for starter in .NET ( I thought or VB) ?

Danny Polkinhorn
2006-09-07, 04:02 PM
There's hundreds of books on .NET. I would suggest you find one in French because it's hard enough just learning it without having to translate in your mind. For Revit customization, only the help file is available.

dhurtubise
2006-09-07, 04:53 PM
Thanks for being so kind :) French ir english doesnt really matter to me. So if you happen to know a good one just beep me. Website could do to. And i already register for a class :-)