PDA

View Full Version : Room Numbering

nblevins
2004-06-10, 06:54 PM
I am adding room numbers to a fairly large plan that already has about half of it's room tags. As I insert new tags, the room numbers fill in automatically, but the numbers relate to the last tag placed and not the proximity to other rooms (i.e. room 589 was just inserted between rooms 534, 535, and 536) Renumbering all of the rooms would take entirely too long. Is there any way to regenerate room numbering for an entire floor so the tags are in a more logical order?

aggockel50321
2004-06-10, 07:29 PM
Unfortunately, no.

Easiest way to work with them imho, is in a schedule view.

Your dilema is on the wishlist, I believe.

PeterJ
2004-06-11, 09:19 AM
I think the problem with implementing this is how you define rules for a logical order.

Willem Ackerman
2004-06-11, 12:11 PM
Why cant you use 534A between 534 & 535. We have the same problem. Layouts allways changes and inserting letters after the numbers works for us. The same works for door/window numbers.

mlgatzke
2004-06-11, 12:36 PM
Why cant you use 534A between 534 & 535. We have the same problem. Layouts allways changes and inserting letters after the numbers works for us. The same works for door/window numbers.
Why can't you add the letter? I do it all the time. You just have to place the tag, click on it and modify it's number.

m_cahoon14336
2004-06-13, 07:38 PM
We use a similar approach that works for us. We label rooms ie, "23 Office". 24 Closet", 25 Corridor" etc. Then we sort the schedule by number.

Steve_Stafford
2004-06-13, 08:14 PM
...Renumbering all of the rooms...too long...regenerate room numbering...in a more logical order?There's the rub...logical order, is your floor plan a circle, a rectangle, a "u" shape, a triangle meets a rhombus? How can we expect Revit to re-order our room tags when half the time we aren't sure how to number it until we are pretty far down the road. I'm afraid renumbering a projects rooms is a task that may remain elusive or until we all start making our buildings the same.

I've asked for a re-numbering scheme that lets us draw a line through rooms then supply a start and end number. Something like the site contour label feature.

If you are placing tags, you can always alter the numbering as you go. Place 1-5, then change the next room to 105 and the following tags you place will increment from 105 instead. As long as the number you want to use isn't already in the project you'll be able to jump around.

For a plan that is already highly developed and labelled but needs to reorder. I'd try to find some common element to group them so it will be more straight forward to renumber them in a schedule; ie: Building Part, Floor, Fire Area...any parameter that will put them closer together already.

Worth noting that without Revit, we'd have to update the rooms manually and then do the same with the schedule and make sure they are all there. So even as tedious as it might be to renumber your project, imagine how much more fun it would be without Revit.

Wes Macaulay
2004-06-13, 10:16 PM
I've asked for a re-numbering scheme that lets us draw a line through rooms then supply a start and end number. Something like the site contour label feature... ...So even as tedious as it might be to renumber your project, imagine how much more fun it would be without Revit.Oooh - do I like that I idea!

ita
2004-06-14, 02:13 AM
Use a Room Schedule to renumber of re-order the tags. I find the use of schedules far quicker and more logical than doing it (the re-odering of course) on the drawings.