PDA

View Full Version : Curved Ceilings

dbaldacchino
2006-08-21, 08:16 PM
I have a curved ACT ceiling which I'm modelling with an in-place ceiling family (I believe that's really the only option, besides just using massing or some other generic model family). I assigned the 24x24 ACT material and it doesn't map the way I want it on the curved surface. Depending on how far I'm zoomed in/out, lines appear/disappear at will. Is there another way to get these lines to show correctly, aside from manually drawing in detail lines? The printed result isn't good either.

I also tried the paint tool, but that won't work as I guess you need a flat plane surface. The other thing is that it lets you select an individual line in the model pattern applied to this in-place ceiling by tabbing through, but when you try to move that line or rotate it, it moves or rotates the whole element rather than re-arranging the pattern. Again....is this the expected behaviour and is there another way I'm not aware of? On walls, you just pick one of the lines in the pattern and rotate/move it; the pattern adjusts independently of the wall/flat surface. I guess this isn't possible with curved surfaces? Thanks all!

EDIT: Actually, it prints out good (I can live with it looking bad on screen as long as it prints fine), but the grid isn't at the location I want it to be, so I need to figure out how to offset it.

truevis
2006-08-21, 08:41 PM
How about modelling it as sloped glazing? Start with roof by extrusion.

dbaldacchino
2006-08-21, 08:50 PM
Ahhh just like when doing standing seam roofs....great idea. I'll create a type for ceilings and then i can just use massing tools and pick face. Thanks for the tip!