PDA

View Full Version : Elevation wall joints

blumarble
2006-08-21, 10:36 PM
Here's one I haven't figured out yet, & can't seem to find an answer in the forums...
(see attached) I've got two short sections of wall over my storefront. Of course, this produces joint lines on the elevations that won't really be there. I'm also finding this happening wherever I have to split a wall for some reason. Is there some way to remove them or some technique for creating this other than adding walls over the storefront or splitting walls? Thanks.

shaunamorain
2006-08-21, 11:00 PM
I have the same problem- I'm interested to hear if there are any answers. (the main line I have issue with is in between the walls which separate the first floor from the second floor.

greg.mcdowell
2006-08-21, 11:12 PM
joining geometry between the elements will often clean up this sort of thing... but if the wall above your curtain wall is actually an infill panel then it won't work... you'll want to bring the curtain wall top down and extend the wall through it with the curtain wall set to automatically imbed

Overconstrained
2006-08-21, 11:14 PM
Hi,

Try the join geometry tool....it normally sorts that sort of thing out.

I think you can embed your curtain wall within your main wall anyway (for future reference!).

HTH.

Firmso
2006-08-21, 11:16 PM
joining geometry between the elements will often clean up this sort of thing... but if the wall above your curtain wall is actually an infill panel then it won't work... you'll want to bring the curtain wall top down and extend the wall through it with the curtain wall set to automatically imbed
I woud create the window family to insert into my wall rather than splitting up the wall.
But you can use linework tool to off those lines.

Overconstrained
2006-08-21, 11:16 PM
Sorry Greg, didn't realise my reply was exactly the same as yours!!!!

shaunamorain
2006-08-21, 11:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg.mcdowell

I woud rather create the window family to insert into my wall rather than splitting up the wall.
But you can use linework tool to oof those lines. __________________

Joining geometry sometimes does not work- not sure why.

The split wall occurred with a window of mine once- when I demoed the wall and added a window later (not sure if this is what happened in blumarbles' situation)

hdjohnson
2006-08-22, 03:39 PM
I don't know if this is the problem or not, but I had a similar problem and found out the walls where set to a different Structural Usage. I had one set to Bearing and the other was Non-Bearing. After setting both to Bearing the lines disappered.

Hope this helps....

davidcobi
2006-08-22, 04:08 PM
A line also shows up if you have the exterior face of one wall pointed outward and the other pointed inward or if the two walls are the same thickness but are different wall types.

blumarble
2006-08-22, 04:10 PM
One of these wall types is stacked, and doesn't have the option of setting the wall to "bearing". We have too many storefronts on this project to be customizing a new one that will work everywhere or multiple families (kinda defeats the purpose of having a storefront family anyway, doesn't it?). The properties for the storefront says it's "Automatically embed(ed)", but joining the walls leaves the framing poking through (doesn't cut an opening in the wall). I also tried "joining geometry", but it didn't change anything.
However, the linework tool... I had to use it twice on each line segment (lines for the edges of both adjacent wall segments), but it worked! Thanks all for your help!

sbrown
2006-08-22, 04:47 PM
You should use one full height wall for each side, then place your curtain wall in it and use cut geometry to "embed" the curtain wall in the other wall. Or you can set your curtain walls to embed by default under their properties. So all you have to do right now, is delete the top2 wall segments over your window walls and trim the solid walls, then pick the cut geometry button and select the wall, then you window wall.

blumarble
2006-08-22, 07:28 PM
Here's the problem with the storefront window cutting the wall; it doesn't know where the corner is.

sbrown
2006-08-22, 08:52 PM
Yep, I got the same thing, If you miter the join it might go away, if not, split the wall horizontally at the top of the window instead of vertically on the side of the window and then pull the corners back.

dbaldacchino
2006-08-23, 03:37 AM
If you have your curtainwall set with the option to automatically embed, you wouldn't need to split the wall....just draw it and it will cut the wall. Join geometry works in some cases, but I've been having issues in elevations. I used J/G in 3D and there are no lines showing up. For instance I joined ceilings with walls (at fur-down conditions) but then you go to an interior elevation and a ton of lines start showing up. I'm just going around and cleaning the drawings up with the linework tool, invisible lines.

SCShell
2006-08-23, 02:08 PM
Hey there,
Here is the "cheap way out"....literally!
Leave it the way you had it and use the "line tool" to select "invisible line" or sometimes "by catagory". Quick and easy after going through all of other option listed here.
Sorry, couldn't resist.
Steve

Arnel Aguel
2006-08-23, 02:33 PM
Here's the problem with the storefront window cutting the wall; it doesn't know where the corner is.What I did to resolve that issue is to create the curtain wall as full height same as the adjacent stack wall then create grid lines as required then swap out the top infill panel with wall that has same property as the adjacent wall that way it will join and clean up nicely.

david_spehar
2006-08-23, 04:45 PM
One of these wall types is stacked, and doesn't have the option of setting the wall to "bearing".

FYI on the stacked wall thing. Scroll over the stacked wall and hit the tab key. It will toggle through each wall type that makes up the assembly. Just pick each one individually, go to it's properties, and select "bearing".